Author Topic: Any thoughts on this pond liner  (Read 7932 times)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
Any thoughts on this pond liner
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:50 »
Hi guys,

I'd like to add a small pond at the allotment, the old idea of attracting frogs and toads etc. I would like just to have something small (and cheap) and have spotted this pond liner:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130551291756?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I noticed on the picture that it looks to be a woven material and I have heard mention that these may leak? - I don't really want to go to massive expense and get the thick butyl type sheet though.

Could you let me know what you think? - is it a bargain or a potential headache?!

thanks in advance  ;D
Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Any thoughts on this pond liner
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:32:45 »
Seems ok to me although I used a butyl sheet for mine. It has a 25 year guarantee and I can't imagine them selling if leakage was a problem. I might be inclined to dig the pond first and then buy the liner as I see they sell many different sizes and you don't want to be caught short.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:37:54 »

If it's for the allotment, why not go to your local builder's merchants and ask about an off cut of D.P.M.  Damp Proof Membrane.  This is the heavy duty plastic sheeting they lay on the ground below the foundations of a new building.     Could be a lot cheaper.    ::)   Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:32 »
Hi Tony,

Interesting point, many thanks. I've seen this one too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270888173503?var=570053053538&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Or B&Q: http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/flooring/wood-laminate-flooring/underlay_for_wood___laminate_flooring/B-and-Q-Damp-Proof-Membrane-11687523

but may well contact my local JT Dove store to see if they have any off-cuts.

Thanks for the tip
 ;D
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:34:33 »
We have used the woven one without problems for a few years now. It is cheaper and  a lot easier an than the thick butyl type to mould to shapes and shelves. See your local marquee hirers and get the old carpets they use. They only use them once for weddings etc. But they make good underfelts  for pond liners.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 14:37:05 »
cheers ACE, another good tip!

what an inventive lot we are!

;D
sheddie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal