Author Topic: Blackcurrent bushes  (Read 1709 times)

yorkielondon

• Not So New ...
Blackcurrent bushes
« on: January 28, 2012, 14:49:45 »
my 5  blackcurrent bushes are now getting very large for the sport there in.. i dont really want to prune them.but was thinking of moving a couple.when is the best time and in what way should i go about it.. ie soil prep..
many thxs...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Blackcurrent bushes
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 14:55:05 »
Anytime while they are still dormant... but prune out about 1/3rd when you replant to reduce stress as they put out leaf...  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 15:12:15 »
Yep..and..blackcurrants are hungry feeders...so, make the soil as 'nice' as possible before planting by mixing in lots and lots of garden compost..leaf mould..rotted manure...anything like that and with handfull or two of bonemeal.
Once the bushes are settled in and new growth started..if you apply good mulch around the rootzone too keep moisture down that will ensure that your bushes will put strong new growth on during summer months and next year you will end up with first crop with nice size berries.
You can mulch with layer of news paper and topping it up with grass clippings or even annual weeds..keep applying them as soon as they start disappearing and your 'weeds' will keep you bushes fed... ;) No waste.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 16:29:47 »
I've got to move mine some time soon. Can't say I'm looking forward to it - they're quite large and very well established!! The new bed is already manured and had been covered for the last few months so I'm hoping they'll like it.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 21:08:11 »
Well I've just managed to move one so anyone should! I know I'm stubborn but I'm not meant to lift anything! ::)
I dug around giving a good root space and carefully levered it onto a sack carrier and trundled it to the prepared hole which I'd well mucked etc. Its now in a raised bed with a permanent frame so it can be netted against our delinquent pigeons. I puddled it in then I cut the middle out down to base.  Then I felt quite pleased with myself and had a cup of tea ;D ;D
It now has a mulch of freshish stable muck....

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 21:12:20 »
Well done Green lily. I bet you'll sleep well tonight ;D. There are usually ways & means when we shouldn't do things ;).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal