Author Topic: Growing leeks - help please  (Read 7753 times)

AlanO

• Not So New ...
Growing leeks - help please
« on: January 25, 2012, 20:55:35 »
For someone growing leeks for the first time I could do with advice on having them grow in tubes of plastic or card.  At least one chap on our plot takes care in growing them in plastic tubes or Pringle crisp tubes and another commented the other day "my leeks were a disaster last year, I'm going to grow them in toilet rolls this time - the holes I grew them in filled up with soil as soon as it rained".
Are the tubes neccessary?  And if so are they used to blanch the leaks or stop soil and grit getting between the leaves on the stem making them unpleasent to eat?  Help please. Thanks.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Growing leeks - help please
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 21:02:40 »
I sow 20-30 leek seeds per 6 inch pot.  When they look like blades of grass about 4-5 inches tall I plant them into their final outside growing position.  With a dibber, make a hole almost the depth of the seedling, pop the plant in and fill the hole with water.  Leave mother nature to do the rest.  That's all the maintenance mine get until harvest, though they get weeded in between plants no more than twice.

Also, check here:
http://www.gardenersworld.com/search/
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 21:05:36 »
Hi, this is only how I was shown by my Father years ago 6"pot by about 6" deep fill to about 2" from top sow your seed about 20 per pot. put them on windowsill for about a week they should all be up transfer to small plastic greenhouse or some where to harden off . water leave to grow untill as thick as a pencil. make holes in the ground about 9" apart drop in each leak pour water into each hole this should back fill your leeks with soil around the roots put more soil and firm around each plant. then its all about waiting ;)
m j gravell

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 21:09:36 »
Leeks have long roots so choose a deep container to sow in. I've never used tubes for leeks- I'd need too many. Think I used a frozen food container last year. Anything with depth for a good root run.Definitely not a normal flat seed tray.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 21:39:54 »
Same here dibber in the ground drop the leak in pencil thickness fill with water, but before I drop them in I cut 15mil off the top and leave about 15mil of roots on the bottom, :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 21:47:10 »
I sow mine in a deep plantpot, the sort that roses come in. I just hope Mr Tidy hasn't thrown it away ::).

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 22:42:56 »
I should think you're right, the tubes would be to keep soil out of the leek and to keep a long white bit. I don't bother, but then I do spend some time washing grit out of my leeks  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:35:30 »
If you use plastic tubes... (lengths of drainpipe) remember to make a cut along the length.. or you will find the leek fills the tube and won't come out...  :-X
If you do get them stuck dig them up and leave for a day or three and the fall in water content will loosen them up again. I used to do this but don't bother anymore..  :)

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 21:08:12 »
We used a 2 foot square x 1foot deep poly box,I got it from our fishmonger and filled it with riddled compost .
We then sowed 200 leek seeds and once they had reached about 8 ins top to tail my neighbour said to
Trim the root ends a tad and once dibbed in a hole I back filled them with water till finally the sides collapsed after a couple of weeks and we just let em get on with it.
As we pick our leeks young there wasn't too much grit in the wraps and they were lovely and tender once steamed.
Of course that was our first seasons attempt and we will certainly try alternative methods if it betters
Last seasons efforts.
We like zermats as they are tasty cooked early,and the ones we left fattened up nicely for stews etc.

GazNjude

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 21:28:14 »
Mine are approaching the thickness of a pencil and i was planning on picking up some soil next weekend and adding more soil around the base to help generate a larger white area.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 10:28:56 »
I've always found they grow very slowly (I start them in an unheated greenhouse) and have always planted out long before "pencil thickness".

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 12:43:17 »
Cam- I'm a bit confuse when these pencil thickness leeks were sown and will be harvested?
I'm eating leeks now and will sow next years/ end of this years soon.
Are these ones which are harvested in late spring/ summer?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal