Author Topic: friendly pest control  (Read 2706 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
friendly pest control
« on: January 25, 2012, 20:47:21 »
I did think twice before posting this, so please be polite if you reply, but I have never felt the need to use pest controls other than through allotment design.
For instance, I find that growing carrots in an elevated bed of some sort keeps carrot fly out. I use a builders bag. You do need to make sure the bed is situated in the open though. If the bed is near to a hedge for instance, the hedge will cause the fly to climb higher. They can fly high, but generally choose not to.
Mice used to be destructive, but now I use decoy feeding at the crucial time and often start early peas off in the greenhouse. I also avoid putting anything they will readily take to to build a nest in too close to sensitive crops. Likewise I don't put crops like peas too close to where the mice live. I enjoy watching the mice under the bird feeder.
As for the birds, I know what is in danger and I net it, but I also let them have their share. The pigeons are currently enjoying the remains of last years kohlrabi.
Slugs and snails don't seem to cause any trouble any more. I think this is because the ground is kept quite clean and I avoid setting up a slug hotel (long grass or piles of bricks etc) too near to sensitive plants. I plant my lettuces well out in the open and they don't suffer at all. If I water, which is rare, I do it in the morning.
Anyway these are my methods for friendly pest control, and I wondered whether you have any other ideas which don't resort to chemical annihilation.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Re: friendly pest control
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 15:49:47 »
I rely heavily on physical barriers - fleece, environmesh, netting.  For slugs and snails I keep a lidded bucket half filled with lightly salted water to chuck them in; once it gets a bit smelly the contents go on the compost heap - very nutritious.  Plan to hang a feeding dish in tree and put any 'bad' bugs out for the resident robins.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 16:43:19 »
That's a preety good summary winecap. I have to squash asparagus beetle. Only problem is white fly, not got a solution to that really, but am trying garlic sprays for a lot of things and it seems good.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 23:09:32 »
You are right, the white fly do seem to come and go at will. A fellow plotter made me smile when he claimed to have a cure for whitefly as there didn't seem to be any around anyway and then when the weather changed, they were back. I don't mind them though. People tell me they have an impact, but to be honest I'm not convinced and they wash off easily when you cook.
I'm not sure you really need to kill slugs and snails though Alex. I move them to the compost heap when they get lost and they don't do any harm there. My friend Sylvia accused me of dabbling in the dark arts as the slugs and snails keep off my stuff, but she was harassed by them despite all her slug pellets. The song thrushes do a good job though.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 20:37:34 »
One way to deal with whitefly (and greenfly) in the greenhouse is a three-fold attack..
1: Tagetes (french marigolds)... they don't seem to like them so I have a row of them underplanting each of the GH borders..
2: Yellow sticky traps... they have to arrive by wing normally and find them attractive... you don't have to intercept many fliers to have a big impact on the pest load three weeks later...
3: Ant bait stations... Black ants farm aphids adn defendd the colonies form predators... if you make sure that you're killing off the ant colonies with the ant bait then the predators can get to the nasties...

I planted out several aubergines plants last year that had significant pest loads... surrounded with marigolds, hung a trap over them adn put a bait station between them.... three weeks later they had no pests left on them...... best thing is no nasty sprays, the only things getting poisoned are the ants.... and I don't eat ants.....

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:42:37 »
I've thought of hanging yellow sticky traps above brassicas for the white fly but won't good bugs like ladybirds also get stuck on them?

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 18:48:41 »
If the greenhouse is in your garden the best cure is to disturb the whitefly with a vacuum cleaner.

Modern battery vacs would be ideal for the allotment - but I have an old puny one and no justification for buying a better one...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal