Author Topic: Rats and charcoal  (Read 10989 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Rats and charcoal
« on: December 31, 2011, 15:19:47 »
Sorry if this has been covered before. When clearing stuff out of my garage today (it's used for storing everything except my car!) there was a horrible smell, and as i suspected, lots of rat droppings. Among the droppings were lumps of charcoal which had been taken out of a bag. On googling, I found that rats eat charcoal to try to de-toxify after eating poison! Needless to say I have now removed all trace of charcoal.

BTW does anyone have any tips for getting rid of the stink (I've removed as many droppings as I could but the garage is very old and doesn't have a proper base.

I actually went into the garage to get some old compost bags but the b*****s had chewed them all to bits too. >:(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Rats and charcoal
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 20:05:16 »
Clear out all the chewed stuff and any other rubbish, and clean the place down. You may have things left in there which still smell of rat, but at least you'll have minimised it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 22:03:28 »
I would make mix of jeyes fluid and water and spray it around the floors and bottom of the walls.
That will not only desinfect the area but also does get rid of the 'rat' smell and with the bonus..rats cannot smell their own trails.

Monkey Brains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:40:30 »
I have to regularly use a pest controller to bait the rats at my workplace (I work in an old building with lots of basements and tunnels) - so I also have to check spaces for any dead ones and arrange for appropriate disposal.

Where there are rats then you'll have a musty smell. But if the stink is a strong unpleasant sewagey gassy smell it might means you've got a dead one somewhere that you'll need to find and dispose of. Could it be that, do you think?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 17:42:23 »
I hope not! (although it would mean one less rat). I sprayed all around with jeyes last weekend and the smell had nearly gone yesterday. but i wouldn't be surprised if the colder weather brings them back.  >:(

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 18:16:39 »
Just shows the intelligence of  Rats when they eat charcoal which is used for filtration, if you have any kind of outbuilding or buildings with just an earth floor with stuff just thrown in it is asking for trouble, I would go for Jeyes fluid and if you still have the rat problem place poison in the right places,

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 19:42:29 »
BLEACH.     :o
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Monkey Brains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 21:05:31 »
Rodent poison is slow acting (so they take it back to nest & poison their young). The problem is that they sometimes crawl away & die in inaccessible places - but the foul smell usually disappears after a week or so once it's decomposed - quite quickly once flies find it and the maggots do their thing. Sometimes takes a bit longer and the smell lingers if it's cold, quicker but more intense in hot weather or if it's crawled under the floor and died on the heating pipes.   When our pest-control contract comes up for renewal, I'm going to seriously look into rat-traps rather than bait - though it's more labour intensive & costly as means someone has to go check the traps several times a week. With the poison, I just go on the hunt when my nose tells me to.

I'm not sure that rats leave trails - mice do, they dribble urine as they scurry about. Rats are smarter and may have just come in for the charcoal, or you may have some other food source in there that you've forgotten about.

If you do use a trap, a pest controller told me once that best thing he'd found to use were Rolos - they're attracted to the chocolate and toffee and it's sticky enough to keep them from doing a quick grab that doesn't set the trap off.

Sorry if this it too much graphic detail - I've had more experience than I care for, of both mice and rats.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal