Author Topic: Anyone tried neem oil as a spray to keep the bad bugs away?  (Read 1824 times)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
I've read a bit about this, seems to be bit of an in thing, and like the idea of spraying brassicas etc against white fly/mealy aphid without hurting any of the goodies, but not convinced it will really work. Has anyone actually used it?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Anyone tried neem oil as a spray to keep the bad bugs away?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:01:16 »
We use garlic spray, that seemed to work against the aphids, didn't bother with the white fly, I think they all drowned  ;D

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:37:59 »
I tried it once and found it sticky and smelly, but then my fine motor-skills aren't up to much.  ::)
It's sort of works, but washes off. Where it doesn't wash off so easily, like under the leaves, it stays a bit sticky and smelly, to me.  :-\

Not a lot of help that, looking back. :-[

Still.... moving on....
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:07 »
I have used it with some success and it does work in that it kills aphids etc.  However it has an odd smell that isn't all that pleasent and it can be sticky.  I mix it down to 5ml/lt with some natural cold cured soap and spray.  Of course it will wash off but a 500 ml bottle will dilute to 100 lts so its not too expensive.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal