Author Topic: Parsnip Wine  (Read 8126 times)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Parsnip Wine
« on: February 15, 2005, 12:18:14 »
Is on it's way, the great thing I discovered about this is that you can use the parsnips afterwards. Now they're soup, in a few months time they'll be parsnip sherry as well, excellent.

Jeremy.

derbex

• Hectare
Re: Parsnip Wine
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 13:50:40 »
Note to self -do not add suger to demijohn as granules- turn it into syrup first.

I've just about cleaned the desk up  >:(

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 15:21:28 »
An update if anyone's interested, I racked it over a couple of days ago -and it tasted OK, the original recipe was a dry Sherry and it's got possibilities. I think Sherry is normally oxidised (i.e. they leave the bung out, for the technically-minded) -anyone tried this? I'd plug it with cotton-wool to keep the nasties out.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 22:56:31 »
They also use a special yeast, never tried making it but sherry sounds far too complicated for me

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 10:18:51 »
Yes, you'd need a high alcohol tolerant yeast I'd have thought, although the Formula 67 took at least an extra 1/2lb of suger over the recipe.

Anyway it's been racked and I'm leaving a bit of a gap to let the air get at it. We'll see what happens.

Jeremy

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 09:22:15 »
Just took it off the lees again. Powerful stuff -but rough! Still it says at least a year -might turn out like a Fino- at the moment it's more like 'British Sherry'

Jeremy

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 17:47:35 »
Just think derbex, at the minimum, it is good for stir fries . . .

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 20:42:36 »
....and taking to parties :)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 17:09:37 »
....and taking to parties :)

Which I did over 40 years ago.

Reviewing the parsnip wine recipe, the parsnips seem to have just been the excuse for making wine as the flavour and alcohol came from the sugar, raisins sultanas, oranges, lemons and root ginger that went in the brew.

Phil

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 01:53:05 »
Never made parsnip wine but we bought a bottle from a little shop at Lulworth Cove last year, it was very good, hope I have enough spare to give it a go this year

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 07:53:00 »
Wow, Merry Tiller, your post just gave me a memory shock - when my daughter was about 5 (she's now 20) we were on holiday and went to Lulworth Cove and bought half a dozen bottles of homemade wines and liqueurs from what I must presume is the same shop.  I had forgotten all about that - I do remember that the blackberry wine was wonderful though!  Debit cards had recently been developed and it was the first place I ever used mine.  Typical it would be a wine shop!  I'm feeling all nostalgic now!

It's lovely to know its still there.  Bet its a bit more pricey now.

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 10:36:04 »
You've a more complicated recipe than mine Phil -but my alcohol is coming from the suger too, same for pretty much all country wines?

Jeremy

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 11:24:32 »
Jeremy,

I wasn't complicated, just simmer the parsnips and root ginger in a gallon or so of water (the largest container you have) for half an hour, remove parsnips, add other ingredients and simmer for another half hour.

Let the whole lot cool, add yeast and ferment as usual

Phil

A very "robust" little number when allowed to mature for a year!

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 13:00:05 »
No, it isn't -mine was pretty similar -just no ginger or fruit (citric acid instead so maybe same difference). Might well try your next year -sounds like a 'Winter Warmer' :)

Jeremy

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 17:16:31 »
A while ago we made parsnip sherry (and, indeed, beetroot port).  The sherry is more authentic if you use the proper yeast.  The main thing that we found is that it takes a LONG time to mature.  The sherry was at its best after about 3 years.

The beetroot port wasn't really that nice even after 7 years, but we found a home for the last dozen or so bottles with someone who appreciated the taste of alcoholic borscht!  ;D

I have to say that we didn't repeat the exercise with the parsnip sherry.  Compared with elderflower or elderberry, which are very drinkable within a year, it all semmed to be too much of a long term project.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal