Author Topic: Winter Weeding - worth the time and backache?  (Read 3573 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Winter Weeding - worth the time and backache?
« on: January 20, 2012, 17:08:31 »
Hi Everyone

We've had a very mild and very wet winter here in the Wild West.  So I decided a bit of weeding was in order - I did after all find a dandelion in flower a week ago, and have speedwell and bittercress in flower too, so thought I should get a move on.

One of the old timers, seeing me doing this (and putting on mulch as I went), said "You've just disturbed your worms, broken up the soil structure and the weeds will all come back very soon because ungerminated weedseeds have been brought to the surface - you've wasted your time".  Well he didn't exactly say that, but you get my drift.

So winter weeding - is it worth the time and backache, or should I wait till later on?

PS:  I felt like a naughty child when he had finished with me!!

Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Winter Weeding - worth the time and backache?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 17:33:01 »
I like to weed between the soft fruit in the winter because later on I find I knock off the leaf buds.   

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 17:44:55 »
Surely if you're mulching as you go, the weeds will be smothered?
I had to hoe the small bed in the poly today as some bits were growing in our compost we've added, notably 2 tomatoes  ;D

Ru1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 18:47:27 »

Not always unfortunately.  >:(

I always start by removing weeds before mulching.  The way that I justify that at this time of the year, is that it is another weed removed that hasn't got a chance of breaking through.

I know that others on this site may disagree with what I have just said, but that is my logic behind it.

Hope that helps

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 18:51:46 »
I hoed the front garden today and along the wall outside. Had I not done so the weeds would have put down their roots and would have been large and entrenched next time. I check bOth front and back and take action as required. The dandelions won't get smaller or disappear will they?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 18:53:13 »

Not always unfortunately.  >:(

I always start by removing weeds before mulching.  The way that I justify that at this time of the year, is that it is another weed removed that hasn't got a chance of breaking through.

I know that others on this site may disagree with what I have just said, but that is my logic behind it.

Hope that helps

but she is weeding before mulching ?

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 20:25:16 »
Yes it does give the worms a headache but if you intend to sow/plant reasonably soon it helps to get rid of the usual suspects with perennial roots etc. Biggest danger I would have thought was compacting the soil where the ground is wet.
Mind you just getting out there and getting started is a big boost and time in the bank so I wouldn't be too dismayed ;)

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 20:30:53 »
you guys are funny worms are to deep to have problem from a bit weeding

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 20:41:43 »
Perhaps you have a different type of worm  PL  there are worms in the top six inches of my soil.  They particularly seem to cluster around dandelion roots.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 21:43:36 »
It's always worth digging out the perennials. Most of the seedlings are easily murdered by mulching. There are a few exceptions like goosegrass.

You've probably got a type of fertile soil called a brown earth, which lacks layers, as it supports a large worm population that stirs everything up. If you do have a layered soil in the UK, it's going to be something far less fertile, and you have to work it up and turn it into something resembling a brown earth before you get decent crops.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 21:46:21 by Robert_Brenchley »

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 22:12:34 »
As much as possible I am trying the no dig system.

You can smother the weeds with black polythene, it takes time but saves all that weeding. You certainly bring up more weed seeds than the weeds you have just got out. It just depends how bad the weeds are and how soon you need the ground.

You might be interested in Charles Dowdings web site: www.charlesdowding.co.uk.

I started my all allotment last year and have tried his ideas with good results so far.  8)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 20:41:14 »
If it's not too damp and your soil is friable then it's not a bad idea to be pulling out couch roots cos you'll get big strands out with little effort.... got to be better than leaving them surely... ditto any big perennial deep rooters, you're removing them and not doing any damage then go for ti.... but don't go trampling down on it if it is wet, you'll wreck the soil and it'll be hard to pull the weeds anyway....

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 08:39:53 »
For me, I do winter weeding too - I can't see any harm in it other than like others have said - if the grounds too wet, I won't bother

sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:27:04 »
Here everything is covered in snow, so I am staying well away!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal