Author Topic: Larkspur for confetti  (Read 4706 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Larkspur for confetti
« on: January 29, 2012, 18:08:52 »
I want to grow some confetti, but to date I have had a 100% total failure rate to grow larspur does anyone have any helpful suggestions.

I put sowed some in autumn last year but they did not survive the winter.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Larkspur for confetti
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:27:38 »
Last year i sowed mine in the propagator with a just a sprinkle of soil on top 1st week in feb they took 4 days to germinate and then were fine. It was cheap seed from netto (now defunct).
Not sure what to suggest other than have a nother go with different seed becuase they seem trouble free on this end.
Good luck
x Sunloving

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 20:48:28 »
Many thanks for  your suggestion.  I have tried to grow them so many times.  I saw a programme on TV where they were growing them for confetti and the plants were huge.  As long as they are dry they keep their colour but to get rid of them all you need to do is wet them and they just shrivel up and die.

I had not thought in terms of starting them Early Feb.  I need to get going with it.  Just time to get some in from Wyevale.

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:33:21 »
I think wilkos have them for about 59p.
Is it white only you are after? I have lots of saved dark blue if they are any use?

I sow a lot of hardy annuals in feb as they can go outside in march undercover.
Good luck what a fab idea.

If i ever find the man/gardener of my dreams (sniff) then its on my list of lovely wedding things.
x Sunloving

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 19:53:04 »
I have bought a couple of packets from wyevale (half price) so I will start some off in Feb which which will give me a chance to start some more in March if things do not go well. 

For various reasons I really want red and white.  I am also getting some giant red ones from T&M.  69p.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 21:12:59 »
Well No.3 daughter is getting married in May and I'd never thought of growing confetti! Would it flower in time? I'd need to go out quick to get some seed. Perhaps Lidl'll have some. I think Ivory and pink is the colour scheme but I can't imagine our mob noticing any difference...
I'd love to swap some if I can't find any.
How annoying I put an order into Ryton today. Perhaps if I ring in the morning they'll be able to add some...
Then do I just grow and dry the flower heads? Can you post a link please someone showing  how to prepare same?? Thanks Thanks ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 21:22:30 »
I think May might be rather early for Larkspur to flower I am aiming for August.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 22:26:17 »
It might just be me, but I'd wonder about the symbolism of a poisonous plant as confetti.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 19:41:21 »
I had not thought about that but you can buy this kind of confetti for £9.99 a bag.

But thanks for reminding me, looks like I cannot grow them on lottie they will have to vie with the slugs in the garden for supremacy.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 21:23:27 »
Yep may is a bit hopeful but Ryton is adding a pkt to my order and they can go in the propagator with the chillies.... ;)Then I guess I'll try pushing a few on in the poly. Can't think being poisonous is much of an issue unless there'll be under 5s around. I can't even imagine many will recognise the type of plant... ::) But it seems a nice idea and worth a try. If mine don't flower in time at least you know where there's a few extras- although I think I just went for giant mixed rather than red or white  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 21:31:01 »
I only got giant red because T&M had them on special offer.

I am struggling with the poisonous bit.  Our lotties are on farm land so that will be a total no no.  Sometime a sheep or ten escapes onto the site.  My garden would be fine but I presume that like Delphiniums they are slug heaven.  Any comments on this score would be very much appreciated.

I bought some small peat pots in poundland and hope they will be got to get them going.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:08:22 »
what about rose petals pink &cream ,or cherry blossoms ?just in case you can't get the larkspuers to grow get a back up :D

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:29 »
Lots of plants are toxic daffs and tulips, foxgloves, allsorts and so i wouldnt rule out growing at the plot. Most grazers wouldnt take more than a bite anyway.

Im sure the dyes in normal confetti are equally toxic and its not of concern, all sorts of wedding flowers are toxic to. What was the point but to have a shoulder full of chip dig at weddings about the post?

As for slug fodder my larkspur do much better than their delphinium neighbours.
Its a lovely idea and I'd love to have petal confetti at my wedding.

good luck
x Sunloving

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 21:18:50 »
Well my seeds are in the propagator beside the fig cuttings so we'll see. I'm not usually a flower person so it'll do me good to grow something other than  marigolds.... ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 23:09:18 »
I will pop some into peat pots as soon as my compost thaws out.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 21:28:35 »
 For slugs & snails, get some free coffee grounds from  COSTA COFFEE, & surround your plants with about a 1", layer.  Bye bye slugs & snails.
Just take a bag or plastic box( large) they are glad to give the grounds away. good luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal