Author Topic: What chillies are cooking in you propagator?  (Read 12708 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
What chillies are cooking in you propagator?
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:08:50 »
I started early this year with strong will to get abundance of chillies to use in all those wonderful recipes that people keep posting here.
 I have over wintering from last year peppadew, trinidad parfum, bangladeshi purple & small, tepin and naga morich..so far, so good.. ;D
I have now sown mulato, aji fantasy, hole mole, congo black, naga morich, napia, "really big habanero", trepadeira werner, jalastar, cascabel, guajillo, C.galpagoense and packet of unknow chillies mix.
C.galapagoense is just for 'fun'..when I saw how difficult they are said to be to grow...I couldn't resist a challenge.. ::)..and as I had some money left from christmas box I treated myself.  ;D
Some have already germinated and are now individually potted into tiny pots..growing away under my brrillliant lighting unit.. ;D ;D

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
Re: What chillies are cooking in you propagator?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:16:15 »
Well, I'm testing some old seeds for Bulgarian Carrot and Purple Jalapeno, which I *really* hope will still produce the goods.  But I have to be honest, after a "masala mirch" (a sort of very long chilli bhaji) at one of our favourite curry houses in Bradford, I'm hoping to start off some Numex Big Jim seeds as well in February to see if we can manage something similar.  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:22:51 »
Trouble with Big Jim's is that they don't seem to do many chillies per plant..but suppose they do compensate with the size. So might need quite few plants if you have many mouths to feed.
I only grew one plants and bloody snail had my big whopper before it ripened.. >:(.. great big hole in a immature fruit that I nurtured and lovingly looked after to get on reeeeally big fruit on the plant. I wasn't very happy bunny and I did hunt that snail down and I gave it feel of my boot sole.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:55:41 »

I haven't started mine yet but last year I grew scotch bonnetts above and they did really well. I started mine middle of February so will do the same  this year.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:57:57 »
OH YUM...that photo says it all..looks like summer.. ;D won't be long now..

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:03:16 »
Non yet... but Ring of Fire will be in there... and some peach habanero..  :)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:19:02 »
I've got Naga Morich, Pretty in Purple, Peter Pepper, Basket of Fire and one from my Pakistani neighbour all sown on Jan 7th.  So far only Pretty in Purple have germinated.

Yesterday I sowed Jalapeno, Filus Blue, Hot Patio Sizzle, Little Elf and Mem Jolokia.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:44:26 »
I usually just do cayenne and jalapeņo. Boring, I know, but although we love chillies, and I use them almost daily, we don't like them too hot. So if anyone can suggest any alternatives, that would be good. Also, how many plants do you grow? I've been growing 5 of each but could possibly do more, as they freeze and pickle well (jalapeņos) and I always end up having to buy them.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 08:10:16 »
This is a bit embarrasing, but you know me by now, I sow a minimum of 12 (or whatever is in the packet if less) of each variety.  I want to have enough plants to be able to sell some at our Plant Sale in May, and to donate some to the Cats Protection in July.

Even as I was sowing some yesterday I started to wonder whether I really needed to sow so many but I quickly convinced myself that I did.  After all, they might not all germinate.....

I freeze the ripe chillies in little plastic bags and my husband eats some every day. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:31:29 »
Wow Betty that's something like 120 plants!!! :o :o :o :o

I wouldn't know where to put them!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:39:20 »
Code: [Select]
we don't like them too hot. So if anyone can suggest any alternatives I don't really know much about mild(ish) chillies to recommend any..its only last couple of years that I've become to appriciate them as more of flavouring thing than giving any heat. While a go I bought dried whole cascabel chillies and I chopped them up and soaked to make chilli paste with few other mexican chillies. Once the hot water 'hit' the cascabels the aroma was wooooonderful..so now I just have to grow some of my own.. ;D
Trinidad parfum is mild..I tasted one and it has bit like habanero flavour but not the heat. That is next one I want to try dried and made it into powder.
Usually I only grow 1 plant per variety as its only me who really eats them...OH can't take much heat...of any kind.. ;D ;D And any spare plants/seedlings I give away.
Some years ago I got from HSL pepper called Macedonian Sweet..apparantely 1/10 plants of those become with more heat, not much but between mild-medium. But as I prefer mine with heat and always saved seeds from the ones with heat I would say that I get now 1/10 plants without heat. They are small pointy peppers and I'm going to sow those again..soon..to try how they work as dried powder..yum. Has anybody else grown them?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 09:40:14 »
Oh..postie has been and my last lot of chilli seeds just arrived..no more!..I'll promise.. ;D
so, I'm off to sow some more...: Pulla, Chinese pot, Numex Suave orange & red and Early Jalapeno. I got some Ring of Fire for free.. ;D..but those will have to wait for another year.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:49:16 »
Wow Betty that's something like 120 plants!!! :o :o :o :o

I wouldn't know where to put them!!

Every year I promise myself that I will sow less in future, but once I get those little seeds in my hand something comes over me and before I know what I'm doing I've sown too many.
I think I need help!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:51:48 »
I think I need help!I would love to help you....but I doubt I qualify.. :-X ;D
I could help you other way though...need any more seeds? ;D ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:59 »
I think I need help!I would love to help you....but I doubt I qualify.. :-X ;D

:D
I could help you other way though...need any more seeds? ;D ;D

Ooh, you are naughty!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 11:16:25 »
I wouldn't be much help...
not just because I'm a man...  :-X

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 15:14:33 »
None yet, but I bought a packet of mixed chillies today, much cheaper than buying lots of different varieties.
From mild to super hot, it says on the packet.
Knowing my luck they will all turn out to be the same.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 16:54:19 »
I've planted up Cayenne and Peppadew from sprouted seeds (damp tissue method) and am waiting to see if my remaining 'bangladeshi' and some Numex suave will come to anything.

Tricia

mike77

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 22:39:59 »
White/red/brown/yellow/yellow brain strain 7 pods and black/orange/red and yellow Trinidad congos so far,all germinating nicely! Hopefully will get my scorpions,nagas,fataliis and habaneros in tommorow!
Let's hope we see a summer this year 8)

connectedcats

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 18:14:28 »
I started Chocolate Habanero, Red Scotch Bonnet, Peach Habanero, Mustard Habanero, and Dorset Naga (all seeds saved from my hand pollinated chilli plants last season ), 6 seeds of each on New Year's Day.
As soon as these began to show through I moved them under my 'daylight' bulbs and put in Naga Jolokia, and some mixed habanero and bonnet seeds (these are the only ones I've bought this year).
On 17/1 I put in some from a seed saving circle I joined in last season, Bengal Naga, Hot Banana, Purple Jalapeno, Kashmiri and Nigel's Outdoor Chilli.
I have 42  :o different named seeds, although checking on the internet, it appears some of these could be different names for the same varieties. I'm not sure if I'll find space for all of them, but I'll do the best I can.  ;D
I have Dorset Naga seeds from 4 different people, so it will be interesting to see whether they all produce fruit looking the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal