Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2012  (Read 123128 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2012
« Reply #260 on: December 02, 2012, 00:29:01 »
I've had empty squash seeds a couple of times in years with bad weather at flowering time. Try germinating a few and see what happens.

Thats good advice to put your mind at rest.  They look big and plump in the picture though.

pumkinlover

« Reply #261 on: December 02, 2012, 14:08:59 »
I've opened up a good number of the Shark's fin seeds and they have no seed in. It's fairly obvious that that particular fruit has grown when the seeds had not been pollinated.

As the pictures show there are a   number of even larger squashes "decorating" the house at the moment. I hope there is a chance that one or more of them will have some viable seeds in. It is not possible to get any of these dried in time ( and I cannot promise that they will have viable seed).  :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
The only logical thing is to send in the seed I have -There is one chilli or tomato variety  and one packet of Tropaleum peregrinum for each person.
If I find that I do  get viable seeds from any of the   fruits as they mature and get eaten I will post on here and if people send me a PM with their own address I can send some out.
I'm really sorry but that is the best I can do at the moment. Next year will be better! One of the great things about this squash is that it produces fruit even in an indiferrent year which is remarkable, so it is really worth growing -IF you have the room!!

pumkinlover

« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2012, 07:20:53 »
Just read in the HSL that Sharks fin need to mature in the fruit for a long time-so there may be a chance! :toothy10:

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2012, 13:20:16 »
Hi pumkinlover, I've grown shark fin melon as well. Are HSL more specific than "a long time"?

pumkinlover

« Reply #264 on: December 05, 2012, 17:37:02 »
"Seed continues to mature for several months after the fruit has been picked so do not remove seed for saving until December or later from an autumn harvest"

these were picked late Oct I think but I guess the above is for a normal year.
Fingers and toes crossed that we get something later :icon_cheers:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #265 on: December 05, 2012, 19:55:04 »
"Seed continues to mature for several months after the fruit has been picked so do not remove seed for saving until December or later from an autumn harvest"

these were picked late Oct I think but I guess the above is for a normal year.
Fingers and toes crossed that we get something later :icon_cheers:

You've got so many and there should be plenty of black seeds before sowing time next year.  Maybe plan to put them into the seed circle next year? This year has been a struggle for squashes here too.  Hardly managed any hand pollinating this year and it is doubtful what the seed will be like or rather whether there will be any at all.

Next year  :sunny:

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2012, 19:36:04 »
Thanks, pumpkinlover.

I've sent in my seeds.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #267 on: December 08, 2012, 12:19:19 »
Jayb put my offer to the seedcircle on the post,so it will be hopefully before the christmashassle on your adress,just look for a big postpigeon :toothy10: :toothy10:.I put some other seeds in it because my peas and onions were a failure.Peas were molded after harvesting them just not dry enough and onions are just blooming the next season.I put some  other intresting seeds in the package.Good luck in growing them next season.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #268 on: December 08, 2012, 15:26:21 »
Hi Jayb,

I sent my red pear tomato seeds a few days ago -hope you received them

Debs
          :icon_flower:

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #269 on: December 08, 2012, 16:10:58 »
And I sent mine 2 days ago.

Hopefully delivered today.

:icon_cheers:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #270 on: December 08, 2012, 17:11:47 »
This is going to be another lovely parcel - thanks everybody  :icon_cheers:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #271 on: December 08, 2012, 18:52:19 »
My seeds are in the post.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #272 on: December 08, 2012, 19:04:24 »
I can't seem to get on the seed sharing site, but never mind. I've included:

Ragged Jack kale. Old UK variety which looks very like Red Russian. Small plants, set one and a half to two feet apart. This is the first time I've saved brassica seed, but I didn't notice any flowering on other peoples' plots, so it should come true.

Trail of Tears Bean. Climber, old Native American variety. Very reliable; abundant thin green pods and small black beans.

Mrs Fortune's Climbing Bean. Climber. Didn't do much for me this year, but usually reliable. Can be used either for pods or dried beans. I couldn't include as many beans as I'd have liked as I didn't have that many.

Major Cook's Bean. Climber. Prolific, can be used either for pods or for dried beans.

Cosse Violette. Purple podded climbing bean. Very reliable, very prolific.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough seeds of the only bean which did well for me this year - Kew Blue - because some wretched pest bit almost all the stems through a couple of inches above the ground, and only a couple of plants survived!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #273 on: December 08, 2012, 20:08:53 »
I can't seem to get on the seed sharing site, but never mind. I've included:

Ragged Jack kale. Old UK variety which looks very like Red Russian. Small plants, set one and a half to two feet apart. This is the first time I've saved brassica seed, but I didn't notice any flowering on other peoples' plots, so it should come true.

Trail of Tears Bean. Climber, old Native American variety. Very reliable; abundant thin green pods and small black beans.

Mrs Fortune's Climbing Bean. Climber. Didn't do much for me this year, but usually reliable. Can be used either for pods or dried beans. I couldn't include as many beans as I'd have liked as I didn't have that many.

Major Cook's Bean. Climber. Prolific, can be used either for pods or for dried beans.

Cosse Violette. Purple podded climbing bean. Very reliable, very prolific.

all updated, Robert, hope ok?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #274 on: December 09, 2012, 19:19:16 »
Everything should be fine.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #275 on: December 10, 2012, 13:54:16 »
I was hoping mine had turned up at JayB's  by about now..  It was posted on the 5th... :sad1:
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #276 on: December 14, 2012, 15:47:00 »
Sent mine this afternoon.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2012, 00:24:27 »
  So pleased mine made it. I've not always had a great relationship with the post-office.

About the Cardoon Seeds. I honestly thought that all I had to do was collect them. I had a load of good-looking seeds from three 'heads' off the same plant, but I can't get a sign of life out of any of them.  I've tried them in damp tissue in warm and warm/cold spots.
So I'm sorry about those guys. I know one or two were particularly interested in growing them.
What I can do though, is come back to them in the Spring and divide-and-wash some rootlets and post them on.
Delayed, but not forgotten.

I did add a small pack of broad bean thingies though. They came from the same folks that gave me the 'Eat Me' Mange Tout. I asked if they were anything special, and Steve said they might also be from his missus' mum in Hong Kong, but sometimes I wonder if he's not just winding me up. I figure JayB might know what best to do with them. :)

I'll fill in the swap page soon. Honest.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2012, 09:51:58 »
  So pleased mine made it. I've not always had a great relationship with the post-office.

About the Cardoon Seeds. I honestly thought that all I had to do was collect them. I had a load of good-looking seeds from three 'heads' off the same plant, but I can't get a sign of life out of any of them.  I've tried them in damp tissue in warm and warm/cold spots.

I'll fill in the swap page soon. Honest.

Just checked the condition and germination times for cardoon.  No specific warm temperatures required (but obviously they won't germinate in a freezing greenhouse at the moment).  They should germinate at 7-14 days just covered with a little soil.  Maybe the two weeks aren't up yet and they might still germinate?  Did they rot or have they just done nothing at all.  If the seeds have rotted, then conditions might have been too damp for them.  If they still look good, they could potentially still sprout.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2012, 17:24:41 »
I've germinated them out of a packed with no problems. They didn't like my waterlogged soil though!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal