Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2012  (Read 123388 times)

pumkinlover

Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2012
« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2012, 19:07:03 »
I am afraid I am going to have to drop out.
The hutterite soup beans I thought I had dried out and bagged up ready are a pile of fungus.
The numex twilight chillis have not ripened enough to set viable seed. 
I have Shark's fin melon, but I suspect that many of you will have had this before (or maybe not even want it!) and some Canary creeeper (Tropaeolum peregrinum) which is not even a vegetable.
I suspect you will all be nice and say that's ok but I do not want to take part when I have not got something good to send (mainly because of the wonderful stuff you guys put in!)

I only started seed saving and learning how to do this stuff last year and I hope that I have got lots of growing years ahead of me, so look forward to 2013 and a bit more  :sunny:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2012, 19:41:23 »
I know the feeling; I've had problems myself. Send what you can and don't worry; you can always send extra next year. I'd appreciate the shark's fins.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2012, 20:09:17 »
PL, Don't you dare, I've been bagging up loads of seeds for us all and no I'm not very nice, but Robert has it spot on .   

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2012, 22:11:45 »
I'll have the postage in three or four days..... And I'll be packing at least a couple of extra baggies anyway so don't anyone dare move!
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #244 on: November 26, 2012, 17:43:10 »
Please stay - I am looking forward to fresh seeds of Shark's Fin melon, because the ones I planted earlier this year didn't germinate  :sunny:  yours will be much appreciated.  Seedsaving is a learning curve and it can only get better.  Paper envelopes are often easier than plastic, because they let the seeds 'breathe', which helps drying off completely.  Wish you much better luck next year.  For what its worth - I have done exacly the same with pea seeds in the past :-(

By the way (although it is a little late by now but for next year) anybody wants to ask any question or know how to save seeds of certain vegetables, please just ask.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 18:39:46 by galina »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #245 on: November 26, 2012, 19:21:09 »
I haven't even grown sharks fin before...so you better stay!..beside..I've posted my seeds to Jayb already and yours are included.
You don't get away that easily.... :glasses9:

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #246 on: November 27, 2012, 18:18:33 »
If anyone dare to move i will cross the pond and i will deliver it personally,so dont dare to quiet.Jayb i will send you my goodies in about a week,i dont know if i can find the time to bag them.I hope you will do it for me.I will send zip bags and information what is what.The small seeds i will do overhere.I also send some bonusseeds from different type of veggies.  :toothy10: :toothy10: :coffee2: :coffee2:

pumkinlover

« Reply #247 on: November 27, 2012, 22:00:38 »
You guys are just so nice, I have to confess that as well as the weather I have just got behind with everything. I do not want to let people down by not sending good stuff.
Anyway update is that last night I chopped up a huge shark's fin, cleaned the seeds and made a lot of soup with the flesh! The seeds are on the mantle drying for the next few days.
Tropaleum also cleaned but not quite enough viable seed for everyone so will get some more tomorrow hopefully ( or weekend) from plot. They seeded around last year themsleves so should be easy enough.
I've got some Numex twighlight and Paper lantern to add in but noth enough of each for everyone same with Pink Brandywine toms.
To feel safe that the seeds are dry enough I would prefer to leave it till Sunday to bag up then I can get in the post Monday or Tuesday definate.
I'll post pictures of what happens to your house when you grow Sharks fin melon in next couple of days :toothy10: but I expect we all have unusual decorations in our houses.
Right- glass of parsnip wine now and have a go at origami seed packet folding ready for the weekend.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #248 on: November 27, 2012, 23:45:26 »
Seed package sent - hope it gets there soon.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #249 on: November 28, 2012, 07:19:13 »
Well in the spirit of all this loveliness I shall send what I can it may only be a couple of seeds but I guess it is better to spread thin  than not ,and I promise to do better next year as new year resolutions go I think that is a good one!
Thanks for keeping me.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #250 on: November 28, 2012, 10:11:46 »
 :icon_cheers:..for not giving up with us...

Its truly been difficult year to able to produce seeds in any quantity....but next year.....we will be 'washed' with tide of good crops... :drunken_smilie: :sunny:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #251 on: November 29, 2012, 15:10:02 »
Goodlife's seeds received on Tuesday, really do look interesting, thank you

Added correct day!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #252 on: November 29, 2012, 17:08:08 »
Galina's parcel has landed, what a treat, it looks smashing. I'm getting sooooo excited now  :blob7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #253 on: November 29, 2012, 18:15:03 »
OooK..how do I get to add my seed info on the 'site'? I've signed on but as it is new page, has my access to edit gone with old pages ?
...or shall I post my entries to page 'keeper'?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #254 on: November 29, 2012, 20:27:02 »
Hopefully you are added GL? I've also added Robert to edit. Poolcue and Nigel are already signed up.
Galina has added a great amount of information and super pictures, cheers. Please it would be fab if everyone chimes in and adds their take on what they have grown for the circle, it's just lovely to read and gives it all more meaning. All I need is an email address to add you on to edit, you can then add what you like. It is fairly easy to find you're way around, just click on the edit icon looks like a pen or pencil at the top RH side of the page and then click save when you have finished. Use add image to upload your pictures.

How we are doing so far can be found here https://sites.google.com/site/seedsharingcircle/

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2012, 20:34:50 »
Hi Jayb,

My red pear toms are in the post as of today - PL I almost dropped out too when the other seeds failed & I felt I was not offering very much.
As everyone is saying, this year has been a bad one & I for one will be thankful for whatever is in my seed parcel.

BTW, I am SOOOOOOOOO excited, as this is my first time at taking part in the seed saving circle!!  :toothy4:

Debs X

pumkinlover

« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2012, 22:03:48 »
http://www.sowingnewseeds.org.uk/pdfs/Growing%20shark%20fin%20melons.pdf

I was getting worried because the sharks fin seeds seemed very "thin" and i wondered if they were fertile, checking against the remainder of the seeds I recieved from a kind member on here I could not believe how different they are. Mine are big and pale - the originals are small and almost black.

Anyway I hope that they are ok.
In the meantime a  few pictures of what happens when they do grow!
Front bedroom
Back bedroom
Bathroom window!
Original and my seeds
Close up of originals
close up of my seeds

As Sharks fin are the only tyoe of Cucubita ficilfolia grown here they cannot have crossed, not that that should make any difference to the seeds appearance. Hence \i can only guess that they will turn black and shrink, as it seems to imply in the information from GO.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 22:09:36 by pumpkinlover »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2012, 23:04:19 »
Pumpkin Lover,
Looks like your seeds are turning black I think.  Mine always came out of the fruits black, but I did store them for a little longer.  Fat seeds is good.  There is a good-sized germ inside.

Love your windowsills!  Did you know that these are the longest storing of all squashes?  One year is nothing, they often store two years.  I love the texture of the flesh.  They are great pickled too.  And jam can be made from them, called Angel Hair's jam.  So different from other squashes.  Yes, definitely one without worries about crossing.

Super crop  :blob7:

pumkinlover

« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2012, 18:01:03 »
That's what is worrying me Galina that they are not fat, also are they better maturing in the squash rather than  outside?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2012, 19:14:43 »
I've had empty squash seeds a couple of times in years with bad weather at flowering time. Try germinating a few and see what happens.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal