Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2012  (Read 123117 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2012
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2012, 08:41:58 »
Sounds great, boy your job must be a struggle 
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2012, 19:27:33 »
I picked the Achoca from Galina today and was amazed how nice it is! Then sliced some up on the pizza for tea!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #222 on: November 04, 2012, 17:40:05 »
Sounds great, boy your job must be a struggle 

It has its moments.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2012, 19:56:49 »
A lot of my beans pods have rotted instead of drying. I think they were set back so badly by the eather they never had a chance to ripen. I'll see what I can manage, but right now I don't know what the eventual list will be. Ragged Jack is OK, anyway; I've got masses of that.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2012, 23:32:45 »
I picked the Achoca from Galina today and was amazed how nice it is! Then sliced some up on the pizza for tea!
Glad you liked them and they did well for you.  We got quite a lot this year as well, fried some yesterday with olive oil and garlic, a bit like frying courgettes.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2012, 08:24:01 »
Hi Jayb,

Haven't been on recently due to other commitments.
Have dried all my ' Red Pear' tomato seeds, which despite the awful Summer, actually did quite well in the greenhouse  :icon_cheers:

So I'm ready to post.
Do I post 14 parcels direct to you?

Debs x

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2012, 09:24:22 »
I'll be ready to post this week as well - packing all mine today.

*awaits instructions  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #227 on: November 10, 2012, 15:59:07 »
Packed up mine this afternoon.

Debs

• Hectare
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2012, 18:48:18 »
How many are in the circle?

:blob6:

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2012, 08:20:07 »
14 - so you need to send Jayb 13 bags.

Mine are just waiting for an address to send to... :toothy10:

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2012, 12:19:07 »
Ok, just for those of me that's a bit thick....
I have to individually pack 13 (at least, in case of latecomers?) sets of seeds (mine are peas and Cardoon seeds) of how many? Ten? A goodly amount? A pinch? A row?... and send them off to JayB with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Is that about it?
I hate cold weather. It slows my brain down...

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:20:42 by Nigel B »
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2012, 14:17:20 »
We pack 14 packets, 13 for participants in the circle and one extra in case somebody's return envelope gets lost in the post.  We put our seeds into individual seed envelopes and label for example: Climbing french bean 'Cobra' 2012, if the seeds were saved this year or 2011 if last year.  Only fresh seeds,  but for most veg, with the exception of parsnips, last year's seeds are still viable.  We had between 5 and 50 seeds in the past for peas and beans, depending on harvest volume and generosity of the seed donor.  A good pinch for brassica, lettuce, leeks etc.  Perhaps 10-50 for tomatoes, but 5 for a very rare and special one (for example one of the competition extra large varieties).  Seeds should be well dried and reasonably well cleaned (but they do not have to be as pristine as commercial seeds).  Seed envelopes are either bought coin envelopes or small plastic baggies or are home folded.  We had a mixture of all types in previous years.  If anybody needs instructions on how to fold, we can give urls etc.  For this year's circle, if two varieties are offered, it will be 28 seed packets.  I know, in the past Jayb had to do some additional seed packing, because some people sent their seeds in bulk, but that was a lot of extra work and she is doing a lot already with all the packing, distributing, posting etc. 

Could everybody please also write a little paragraph on their seed varieties, to be uploaded onto the seed circle blog?  With photo if possible?  Jayb (or I) can receive pms and upload if needed.  This would help especially for unusual items.  For example - when to sow cardoons, how to care for them, how and when to harvest and what to do with them in the kitchen etc.  This will be so useful when we all grow them next year.

As nobody at this stage knows how many seed envelopes will be in everybody's return, it is better to send an address label and a generous amount for postage in stamps (Jayb returns unused stamps).  Just to give an idea, last year we received 72 packets back!!!  Or send an open cheque (limited to say 10 pounds) that she can write in the actual amount of the postage needed.

Hope that helps.  But as I said, Jayb will be giving exact instructions where to send etc in due course.  I still have one variety to pack and a few paper envelopes to fold and label.  Will send mine well before the end of November for an early December return (early enough not to get into the Christmas postal rush).

Can't wait for this year's seed packet  :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 15:02:11 by galina »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2012, 14:36:28 »
One way to fold paper seed envelopes:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/Envelope.htm

Here is the url for the seed circle blog.  It details what seeds were offered the last two years and what is proposed (to be finalised and not yet 'set in stone') for this year.

https://sites.google.com/site/seedsharingcircle/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2012, 20:58:55 »
Sorry guys, been a bit under the weather, planning to pm all tomorrow, sorry to keep you waiting. Thanks Galina, only had a quick read but I think you have it covered.

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #234 on: November 19, 2012, 09:14:52 »
Has anyone posted a page for this year's varieties yet? I'm just sorting mine out, and I don't want to duplicate anyone else's.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2012, 16:30:36 »
Has anyone posted a page for this year's varieties yet? I'm just sorting mine out, and I don't want to duplicate anyone else's.

https://sites.google.com/site/seedsharingcircle/seed-parcel/seed-parcel-2012
That's all so far, Robert.

Looking forward to yours.  In principle duplication is not a problem.  JayB and I are going to duplicate a tomato variety deliberately, because my seeds were only from one plant but together with her seeds from the same variety it gives us a bit more diversity.  Our tomatoes were from the same original seed source.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 16:50:38 by galina »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2012, 17:39:49 »
I'll post Ragged Jack (it's not been grown out, and I can't promise that it won't need roguing), Trail of Tears Bean, Cosse Violette, Major Cooke, and Mrs Fortune's Climbing Bean. Ragged Jack is this year's seed, everything else is last year's due to pathetic results from this season. I'm not completely sure about the quantities of beans I can put in a packet, but there will be at least half a dozen.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2012, 21:52:18 »
Maybe less than half a dozen; there's at least one variety that won't stretch. But I'll do what I can.

Debs

• Hectare
« Reply #238 on: November 21, 2012, 13:09:57 »
Got mine all done  :icon_cheers:

just need Jayb's address 

Debs :blob7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #239 on: November 23, 2012, 15:18:31 »
Mine are all done tooooooo!  :icon_cheers:
I'll shall post mine after weekend if that is ok.
Jayb..how are you coping with this monsoon over there?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal