Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2012  (Read 123128 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2012
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2012, 15:50:17 »
My seed came from Markfield Rover as I'd already sent mine to Jeannine. I believe her source was from HSL. I can't find the picture I'm looking for so this one will have to do, not very good I'm afraid. I think this one was from a fused flower and quite small, others were larger. But it does appear the same basic shape with slight ribbing as yours, colour too I think?
ps colour is a bit dark in this picture I think so not a fair comparison.

Thank you for this picture.  I would say they are near identical and the shape of the ribbing is the same.  The colour is close enough too.  I ate the one on the photo for lunch.  There were quite a few locules (seed chambers) inside the tomato.  Ok, its good to know that we both (and by implication our sources) have the same type and that we can ignore any confusion - apart from the fact that there are two different tomato varieties with the same name.  One is a hybrid and ours is open pollinated.   That's good.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2012, 10:33:56 »
I have uploaded a few photos and variety descriptions of my offered seeds on:
https://sites.google.com/site/seedsharingcircle/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2012, 11:59:33 »
Wow they look super Galina, really looking forward to growing them next year  :sunny:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2012, 16:58:13 »
 :icon_cheers:...pages are looking good....Thank you Galina  :icon_cheers:

I'm hoping to get my dried out seeds in GH cleaned this weekend and then I can confirm what is going to be bagged..more info to follow soon :happy7:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2012, 15:15:10 »
Afternoon all
My Queen of Hearts toms were from HSL and look just like the photo.
Now I am going to be a party pooper and with regret bow out as my seeds are in a right sorry state, and that is not good enough. Sorry all.
I was not going up the plot today until I heard the BBC radio 4 programme from a site in Hastings  so up I went and after talking to my chums who consider now to be the start of the season I aim to do so much better for next

Having said that I do have a few Queen of Hearts Tom seeds I could send to Jayb if anyone fancy a go.
Cheers.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2012, 16:24:13 »
Sorry you are dropping out Markfield Rover.  We are all looking forward to a much better growing year. 

Good to know it starts now!

Unfortunately we are waterlogged here again, so can't plant garlic yet.  But there is a seed tray of lettuce that wants transplanting into the greenhouse for overwintering, so that will be my start to a better 2013!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 16:26:08 by galina »

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #206 on: October 24, 2012, 18:58:09 »
Thanks galina  , as Arnie says I will be back!
Writing to Santa about HSL, so better start behaving.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #207 on: October 27, 2012, 09:31:29 »
GOOD NEWS  :icon_cheers:
I finally got round to going thru all trays of 'stuff' that I've tucked away for drying out. All peas are shelled out and I can now tell that I've got 2 lots of peas to share...Swedish yellow pea and Mangetout from Laos AND I've got some Finnish broadbeans too :toothy10:
So 3 lots are for sure...and I'm still debating with few other bits and bobs.

pumkinlover

« Reply #208 on: October 27, 2012, 21:47:37 »
I've just put Hutterite soup bean seeds to dry, there should be enough for our diminshed numbers!
Got a house full of Shark's Fin Squash so there should be plenty of them! not that you need many!! I cannot believe how well they did. :blob7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2012, 16:12:14 »
Looking forward to growing both your seeds PumpkinLover and GoodLife.  Haven't grown Chilacayote (aka Fig Leaf Pumpkin or Shark's Fin Melon) for a few years and this year my old seeds would not germinate.  Not sure whether I have some more in the freezer - your fresh seed will be very welcome. 

Markfield Rover - have just entered 'Bonne Bouche seeds saved 2012' into my database and noticed that the variety source was you.  Very nice bean indeed, such fleshy pods and loads of them.  They have a string which needs removing before cooking, but that's no hardship.   :happy7:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2012, 18:46:21 »
Hi again, I am not really a part of your 2012 group but do have some genuine Gigantes bean seeds that I can spare some of. I got the beans sent from greece this year after searching for three years to find a proper replacement for my old ones, they germinated well and I have a decent amount now. I shall grow them agin this next year but in much bigger numbers.  If anyone is searching as I was I can spare a few.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2012, 09:36:47 »
Morning galina
Glad you like Bonne Bouche they are one of my top three beans for flavour. Daniel- is good too.
So many beans etc but then again that is a good thing and long may this circle reign!
If it continues into 2013 I would love to return.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2012, 19:20:58 »
Phew!  That was a struggle! Here we are though.  :icon_cheers:
I fell off the internet for a while and it looked unlikely I'd get back at all for a while..

Still in time then? Thank goodness!
I have both the Blawschokker (?) Peas, and the 'Eat Me' Mange Tout ready.
Ooh! How about Cardoon seeds? I saved a head from this big plant that resembles a Globe Artichoke, but I haven't tested the viability of the seeds. Not really sure how to. Should I pack some in anyway?
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #213 on: November 01, 2012, 10:00:11 »
Ooh! How about Cardoon seeds? I saved a head from this big plant that resembles a Globe Artichoke, but I haven't tested the viability of the seeds. Not really sure how to. Should I pack some in anyway
Yes, please! If the seeds and plump and 'full'..I'm sure they will germinate... :toothy10:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #214 on: November 01, 2012, 17:18:43 »
Cardoons are easy, except that I've never managed to keep the plants long due to winter waterlogging.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2012, 22:34:05 »
Sounds good to me Nigel  :happy7:

You could try a few seeds folded in damp kitchen paper placed in a bag somewhere warm, and see how they do. Though I think Goodlife has a fair point.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2012, 22:51:34 »
Afternoon all
My Queen of Hearts toms were from HSL and look just like the photo.
Now I am going to be a party pooper and with regret bow out as my seeds are in a right sorry state, and that is not good enough. Sorry all.
I was not going up the plot today until I heard the BBC radio 4 programme from a site in Hastings  so up I went and after talking to my chums who consider now to be the start of the season I aim to do so much better for next

Having said that I do have a few Queen of Hearts Tom seeds I could send to Jayb if anyone fancy a go.
Cheers.

Not so quick...  :tongue3:
if it weren't for you I wouldn't have grown and enjoyed Queen of Hearts tomatoes this year, the seeds were yours, I've had the pleasure of the tomatoes, it doesn't seem right for you not to share back in return. So send in what Queen of H's seeds you have to spare and I'll mix them with mine for everybody.

Sharing seeds that's what the circle is about, but also the ups and downs, we all seem to have experienced some this year.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2012, 23:02:39 »
Hi again, I am not really a part of your 2012 group but do have some genuine Gigantes bean seeds that I can spare some of. I got the beans sent from greece this year after searching for three years to find a proper replacement for my old ones, they germinated well and I have a decent amount now. I shall grow them agin this next year but in much bigger numbers.  If anyone is searching as I was I can spare a few.

XX Jeannine

They sound fantastic Jeannine, I'm so glad you found them at last, it's been quite a search. I only wish I could do them justice at the moment, but I can't.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2012, 19:28:19 »
Hi all

Just as a head's up...i have written a small piece about seed circles that is being added to a larger article about Seed Circles which will be published in the next Organic Way. Interesting how other groups use their circles...but I don't want to steal the article's thunder  :tongue3:

For those that aren't Garden Organic members - I'll scan it in and post it on here for you.

The picture I gave to Pauline is the one of last year's circle's seeds, so some of you might see your packs in the photo.

:blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

pumkinlover

« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2012, 20:20:10 »
Look forward to  reading that!! :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal