Author Topic: Straw Bales  (Read 12800 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Straw Bales
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:31:27 »
I was looking for where to find straw bales for sale.

If you put in Straw Bales under horses and accessories on this site it comes up with various offers.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/listadverts?SEARCHAREA=GB%2CIE&keyword=straw+bales+for+sale&subcategoryId=3365&x=50&y=14

How can you describe a straw bale as preloved though?

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
Re: Straw Bales
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 22:14:45 »
Digeroo, would old hay bales be of any use?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 22:29:36 »
They will rot down and improve the soil.  They also can be used as mulching material.  I also find it good for paths, old straw will do as well.  Particularly good at this time of year since it stops the paths being slippery.  Or they can just be added to the compost heap.

When I first took over my lottie there was a huge pile of straw where there had been a pig arc.  Once this rotted down the soil was lovely. 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 14:00:00 »
Trouble with hay is that you can bring lot of unwanted seeds on you plot too..finding meadow germinating all over the place.. ::)
Are you looking to buy lot of straw then?
I just had delivery last weekend...I got 26 bales  ;D ;D..that was bit fun getting that stacked up on plot.
I've got 2 builders 'rubble' bags 2/3 filled up with straw..those are going to be my giant planters for this summer.
Now I just have to drink a lot to get the straw 'treated'.. :-X..and then later on covering it all with compost.. ;)
Ohh..choices choices of what to grow.. ;D

Code: [Select]
How can you describe a straw bale as preloved though?... ;D perhaps somebody is already used the bales as bed.. :o :-X ;D

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 14:39:17 »
They are probably not so much pre-loved - as maybe spolied or wet or something so not suitable for animals - but perfect for mulching!
Grow yer bugger grow!

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 15:40:53 »
how much does people pay for their strawbales £4 .00 is what ive had quoted

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 16:01:25 »
Mine cost £2.50 each.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 16:26:40 »
Normally £2 - £2.50 but have paid £3 per bale, all from the same place seems different check out people charge different prices but its still cheap so not worried..

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 16:33:00 »
Trouble with hay is that you can bring lot of unwanted seeds on you plot too..finding meadow germinating all over the place.. ::)
Are you looking to buy lot of straw then?
I just had delivery last weekend...I got 26 bales  ;D ;D..that was bit fun getting that stacked up on plot.
I've got 2 builders 'rubble' bags 2/3 filled up with straw..those are going to be my giant planters for this summer.
Now I just have to drink a lot to get the straw 'treated'.. :-X..and then later on covering it all with compost.. ;)
Ohh..choices choices of what to grow.. ;D

How can you describe a straw bale as preloved though?... ;D perhaps somebody is already used the bales as bed.. :o :-X ;D
It probably smells of cats, says the miserable in me.  :P

Does anyone know how many square straw bales go into one big round straw bale?

I did try a very small-scale no-dig straw-bash with tatties last year, and  the results were really good considering all the ones in the soil were full of wire-worm. The I was pulling a few weeds out of there yesterday and the soil underneath is flippin lovely. All strawy and stuff.
I'll bet you're having great fun with the stuff Goodlife. You could build yourself a nice warm hide to spend time in until late at night so you can see what wildlife visits your plot of an evening.  ;)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 16:57:15 »
You could build yourself a nice warm hide to spend time in until late at night   ;D ;D I already said to my OH that he gets sent to lottie to sleep if he is not behaving..straw should keep him warm during ''frosty'' nights  ;) ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 16:59:58 »
Does anyone know how many square straw bales go into one big round straw bale? Gosh...a lot. The round ones must weigh a ton each. I'll have a look at that if somebody else don't get more precise answer first.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 17:31:44 »
Ok..found it..small straw bale weighs about 14 kg..large round ones 115-135 kg...
so round would 'hold' roughly about 8 to 10 small bales

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 18:06:12 »
I just got some the other day from our town council's head groundsman he charged me £2 but I happen to know this was a bargain as the nearby farm supplier charges much more and not delivered. Mind you they might be gone by now stuff on my plot has a tendency to walk.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 18:42:30 »
I have been paying £3 each.   Some are bright yellow and some kind of grey, but actually the scruffy grey ones seem to grow better plants. 

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 19:11:16 »
Ok..found it..small straw bale weighs about 14 kg..large round ones 115-135 kg...
so round would 'hold' roughly about 8 to 10 small bales
I'll admit to being a little surprised by that Goodlife. When you said a ton, I would have agreed.
Ah well. Live n learn.
:)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 10:58:57 »
Roller bales normally come in 4, 5 or 6 foot diameter, and weigh between 500 and 1000kg
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:05 »
Well..I thought they would have weighed more than I 'reported'..but according this site..?
http://www.sac.ac.uk/mainrep/pdfs/assessforage.pdf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal