Author Topic: I just got a Kindle.. help  (Read 2110 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I just got a Kindle.. help
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:16:15 »
I finally bought one , not sure about it though seems faffy..but then I need to find out how to load books on it. It took me ages to get the reistration done..

This is supposed to be easier than carrying books when I have to sit for ages at the lotties and watch John do the heavy work.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: I just got a Kindle.. help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:29:35 »
Hope you find the answer Jeannine................rather have a book I can physically turn the pages though  :)

Ninny

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:32 »
Jeannine, if you have an Amazon account you simply get/buy stuff at the Kindle store and it appears, as if by magic, on your kindle. You can buy directly from your kindle too, Again, you need to go to the kindle store. There are other places you can get stuff but that should get you started.

As to books v kindle? I think they both have their place. Kindle is great for any sort of travel - as many books as you like in one small lightweight container. Good too if you find books too heavy to hold. For me nothing beats the smell and feel of a real book .. but I still love my kindle! ;)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:05 »
I bought my husband a Kindle and it took him a little while to get used to it but he loves it now.  I use an ipod touch for books, which is the same sort of thing but much smaller.  I love the fact that as soon as I finish a book I have another one straight away because I am lost without something to read.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:36:06 »
OH has had a Kindle since Christmas 2010.  I wasn't sure that she would like it but she absolutely loves it.  It's so nice to read, not at all like reading an ebook on a computer screen.

One thing that I'd recommend would be to buy a leather cover for it.  I know that they're relatively expensive, but it makes the Kindle so much more like a real book to handle, as well as keeping the screen clean and free from scratches.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:09:35 »
Code: [Select]
I have to sit for ages at the lotties and watch John do the heavy work. Ahh..thats where I've been going wrong all these years!
So..I just have to buy Kindle and OH sorts the lottie...and job done!..  :D ;) You learn something new here everyday.. ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 08:17:08 »
The Kindle is designed to work with an Amazon account - you pretty much have to have to one!

Kindle books are here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=sa_menu_kbo2?ie=UTF8&node=341689031
Daily bargains are here - http://amzn.to/AmVHAe  - Keep your eye on this section as you can get some cracking bargains

As long as your kindle has it wireless or 3g turned then books will appear magically on your kindle.  If you have one click ordering enabled on your Amazon account it is fairly easy to get carried away!!
I'll still buy books as well as ebooks as they have been part of my life since I was a nipper reading the Secret Seven under the bedcovers!

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 08:33:10 »
I think Jeannine will have to go here:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=sv_kstore_2?ie=UTF8&node=1286228011

I think amazon uk only sell kindlee stuff in the UK and other palces deal with amazon.com.

Something to do with copyright laws!?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 08:51:10 »
Once you get the hang of it you will not look back. If you like the old classics they are nearly all free. I have just got through all the Thomas Hardy stuff . Real books will never be truly replaced by e readers, but these are so handy. Good call to get a cover. As you get used to it, you will not have to stick to Amazon. Feedbooks can be used as they can send them to you in kindle format.  I was forever raiding charity shops for reading matter, I can get through 3 books a week and I am never short of a book nowadays.

Nearly forgot, no more small type to strain your eyes, just size it to suit.

Over the pond the books are cheaper, I get a book for £3 here, sometimes it is 3$ if I order on the ubisurfer which logs into amazon.com. I still get billed in the equivilant sterling though.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 09:10:53 »
I got one as a birthday present from Mrs Stick and was surprised how quickly I took to it. Getting books is a doddle, many are free and some cost mere pence. A cover is a must, I have the leather one with the light.

Only complaint is that the original broke after a month - seems to be a weakness with the screens, but Amazon replaced it without hassle

Still love books but the kindle is great for travelling.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:21:07 »
Brilliant invention, I was having to try to lean bigger books on something and peer at them from a distance. My only problem is my favourite authors haven't put all their books on yet , still, I've tried lots of new authors, some for free  ;D

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 10:26:17 »
I got my OH a kindle for Xmas he loves it,he said he can now take thousands of books away on holidays,and no squashing them in the case ;D

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 12:06:06 »
Got jude one for crimbo and shes well into it,and her mates at work have brought her amazon book vouchers too to add other books when she wants them,plus 2 of her friends are into similar reading material so they swap kindles...very girly  !!!!!

Only gripe if I have one is there is NO backlight to the device which means she still has to have a bloomin search light shining in me eyes at some ungodly hour of the night when she wakes for her reading fix.. >:(

Gazza

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:40 »
I'd forgotten what a kindle was.  :-[ I thought it was one of those little camping stoves that use organic fuel (bits of grass & wood)  ::)

I got all excited when I zoomed in here.  ;D What a twit ::)

I have yet to become attracted by yet another electronic device that needs a charger and costs a fortune. Not for me yet...

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 13:57:11 »
yet another electronic device that needs a charger

Universal usb lead. same adaptor as our phones, ipods, torches, cameras, vibrator etc

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 17:50:50 »
I love my kindle! I feel a bit guilty because I'm not buying so many books from charity shops, though.
I have a little clip-on light for mine so I can read ynder the covers without keeping OH awake. He also has one and gets all his books free, but I'm not sure where from- I like to read newer books so pay for mine from Amazon.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 18:05:45 »
Gee thanks you lot, lots of info here.

I have managed to download 4 free Dickens from Amazon.

It was first off for reading at the plot in the sunshine, last year I was carryinmg book there all day and then some were heavy when holding so figured this was the answer.

I expected more print on one page, I read very quickly so it is harder when only a paragrph os showing but if I shrink it down the print will be very small and I am not sure if I can even get more one one page by shrinking it.

It will never take the place of books for me in my heart but as I am finding it hard to hold even the smallest book now I am hoping it will solve a problem.

I shall really feel like Lady Docker now at the plot..on a chair, with a brolly, sunglasses a drink and now a Kindle..howver I have to admit I would rather be up to me armpits in soil and muck.

Thank you all

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 19:57:47 »
The Kindle is a Godsend for my other half, who still (occasionally) ventures to sea, for a couple of months at a time.  He can preload his kindle with loads of books and then take it all with him.  Like many, he cant be without something to read and this has been fantastic for him. He loves it although he has succumbed to a new condition called 'Kindle finger'  The finger he uses to flick the page has now become arthritic and hes blaming the kindle.........not I add his advancing years ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal