Author Topic: Selling on EBAY  (Read 6241 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Selling on EBAY
« on: February 14, 2005, 18:06:48 »
I have just 'taken the plunge' and started selling on ebay to try and offload the seemingly mountainous load of seeds that i have aquired of late (mostly freebies from a magazine). i will never sow them all so i thought id try and find them good homes, and make a few pennies in the process.

I was wondering who else on A4All had used EBAY, (for selling or buying) and what your experience was like.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re: Selling on EBAY
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 21:32:34 »
Used ebay for selling books - though it was a bit of a hassle weighing them to get postage costs, then packaging them securely... Also only accepted cheque or postal order which then have to be paid in to the bank and cleared.

Have also bought things on ebay, paid by cheque and not had hassle at all. Though I have heard stories....
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 22:27:37 »
i too was a bit wary of taking the plunge with ebay, but can only report positive transactions. have only bought, not sold. i've bought gardening books, i like to collect vintage books and things on wartime gardening. i've had some real bargains! i will only pay by cheque though, i don't trust paypal.
watch the postage though, some seem a bit steep!

newchangeling

• Quarter Acre
  • No picture, no slogan, no imagination!?
    • Pumpkin Soup
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 10:26:12 »
I've bought loads of stuff on Ebay, most of it expensive, but a bargain (designer shoes - fantastic!  ;D ) and only had good experiences.  That said, I am pretty careful about asking sellers lots of questions before I bid and I always check out sellers' feedback as well.

I've paid using cheques, direct into the seller's bank account and also using Paypal.  I've never had any bother with any of them.  Paypal is very safe and very convenient with safeguards built in for both buyer and seller.

I have never sold anything, though I have a friend who has sold loads and seems very happy.  He has been messed around once or twice with people not paying, but it's rare.

The one thing about Ebay that you really do have to be careful about is that it can become addictive.  You get a bit of a rush in the last thirty seconds of an item when all the bids are starting to accelerate.  Make sure you set yourself a budget and stick to it and only to bid on items that you actually want!!

Good luck with your venture.
Anyone for Pumpkin Soup?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 11:15:01 »
i have plenty of ebay experience, both as a seller and buyer.
have paid and accepted cheques and paypal from overseas buyers.

beware though - paypal have introduced some kind of proceedure which means that if the buyer complains that the items have not been received, paypal will give them their money back and take it from the seller's accounts. i dont know why they have changed the procedure - it seems like good news for buyers and leaves sellers totally unprotected against fraudulent types

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 15:36:15 »
Garden Cadet. :) Good Luck with your Project   Why not ;D

Set yourself up with Paypal. Check it out its very easy and the safest method. 8)

Greetings  Take care Tulip-23 Mike ;)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 19:57:49 »
I've bought and sold a fair amount on Ebay and had no problems at all. Good luck!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 20:09:33 »
I have purchased quite a bit on ebay and also sell some of my excess plants. I have never been cheated and I always offer a full money back if not satisfied  garantee. Never had a complaint and have 100% feedback rating on over 130 deals.

If in doubt about something just email them, but watch out for the scams, if it is too good to believe don't trust it.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 04:19:39 »
One caution I would add, having been subject to it yet again just this week, is, if you do use paypal, to not reply to any e-mails you may get that purport to come from e-bay asking for "an update of your personal details as our records may be out of date". On checking with e-bay it turned out to be a scam from someone hoping to get access to my credit card details (which e-bay don't have, one bout of identity theft was enough for me to make sure my credit card never goes on the internet).
One phenomenon I have seen is people getting so caught up in auctions that they bid an item up to a price considerably above what you can buy it for from an ordinary vendor (one instance I remember is an Alocasia  going for $70 when I had just bought the same cv. for $4.95!). If you market whatever you want to sell with glowing descriptions then you too could do really well.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 08:59:23 »
I'm a buyer and seller on ebay and I've never had any probs.

One thing to bear in mind when listing your cards for payment and selling fees;  when either Ebay or Paypal want to notify you of something they will ALWAYS use your name in the email.  It will always be Dear (username) and NEVER EVER Dear Sir/Madam/Ebay User/Member etc etc[/u] Another thing to check email authenticity is to click on the logo on the top of the email (this in itself won't link you anywhere which will take your details) and see where it takes you.  Anywhere other than the website itself - is a fake.

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 10:38:52 »
YP actually thats  no good enough, some people cleaverly spoof the site so you think you're on it.  If you get an email asking for any details then you should open a NEW BROWSER WINDOW and log into your account by typing in the address.  Then if they do need any other info it will say so once you are logged in.

If you are not sure then forward to email to paypal/ebay and ask them.

If you think you might have compromised your account accidently then log straight in and change your password then email paypal/ebay to tell them.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 13:12:15 »
Done both and have only good things to report.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 18:19:08 »
YP actually thats  no good enough, some people cleaverly spoof the site so you think you're on it.  If you get an email asking for any details then you should open a NEW BROWSER WINDOW and log into your account by typing in the address.  Then if they do need any other info it will say so once you are logged in.

If you are not sure then forward to email to paypal/ebay and ask them.

If you think you might have compromised your account accidently then log straight in and change your password then email paypal/ebay to tell them.

Information was given to me directly from the Ebay spoof department (I was scammed but thankfully didn't lose a single penny) and Paypal themselves so is most definitely good enough!

If members are unhappy about clicking on the said logo to check it's authenticity the it's simple enough to right click on the logo and check it's properties - that will also give an answer as to whether it's a spoof mail or not. 

fosteri

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 12:24:29 »
Hi, have bought and sold on ebay and can't say I have ever had a problem..

HTH
Louisa xx

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 13:13:18 »
Husband Mike has bought and sold stamps on e-bay (he is a great collector).  He has also bought a clock and some light fittings and I have bought books, dvd's and a Chinese coolie hat, so that I would look cool at the lottie.  All have been done very successfully, but it is wise to take all the suggested precautions.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 15:14:26 »
Hi Lizzie, I used to collect stamps when I were a lad donkeys years ago and have often wondered if they were worth anything, I have a good collection of Beatle Mags too.
How would I find a valuer in the Midlands ??? Would Mike know ??? or even a more lazy way on line ???

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 17:00:33 »
YP I have had the emails myself, I clicked on the logo and it took me to a page that looked just like the paypal page (with the address www.paypal.co.uk at the top) but on close inspection it didn't seem quite right so I didn't log on through it.  Very clever though.  I forwarded the email to the paypal team and they confirmed it wasn't real.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 14:15:57 »
Despite best intentiond things are not going as well as hoped. My listing has attracted little interest so far,. I am wondering if there is a problem, however i cannot tell what the problem is!, other than it being a little hard to find (had trouble myself)

i was wondering if someone with expereince of selling on ebay could have a look at my entry and give me some advice please. please note i am NOT trying to push the items by posting a link on a4all.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3184&item=4357935001&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57222&item=4357939428&rd=1

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 14:36:44 »
bugger I typed out a long reply and lost it.

Right a few things....

1. I would change your starting price to 99p if not 1p, especially since many of the packets very clearly say FREE SEEDS on them!  Also your listing fees will be cheaper, and importantly bids attracts bids, start low and once one bids others should follow.

2. Change the titles to include at least one of the varieties in it for example Garden Seeds 5pks Verbena Petunia Marigold or whatever will fit.

3. Look at what sells before you list - doing a search on seeds I noticed lots and lots and lots of listings, but not very many bids.

4. Don't loose hope, bids if they're going to happen, usually happen within the last few hours.

HTH!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 14:52:41 »
Thanks 'NattyEm'

Will bear your advice in mind. Have already revised listing and cut the price a bit - perhaps I will cut it still further.

I do still need to cover overheads (ie packaging etc)

Thanks again  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal