Author Topic: Melons  (Read 839 times)

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
Melons
« on: January 05, 2012, 18:43:01 »
Hello,

I would never have considered growing melons, but in a lucky dip seed collection I ordered I have been sent some variety orange sherbet F1. I have a greenhouse but it is only 6x4 and currently unheated although I am considering a heater.

Does anyone here grow melons ? Are they very difficult? I can pretty much get anything to grow (apart from peppers they are my gardening nemesis) I am assuming that by the time melons need the greenhouse thing that just need starting in there will be outside, I really know nothing about growing them.

Vicki

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Melons
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 19:24:46 »
I think they need to spend their whole time in the green house.  I managed some this year by growing them next to a slowly rotting straw bale which kept off the wind and provided a gentle constant heat, they were then covered in a clear plastic picnic table cover (99p).  They were let out only on the calmest warmest days.   First decent melons ever. 

I think they hate wind.

Having said that my plot neighbour had wonderful melons outside the year before last.  No special treatment except a good mulching of straw under the entire plant.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Melons
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 19:37:01 »
Don't get Deb P started again...  ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal