Author Topic: Sweet Potatoes  (Read 4826 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Sweet Potatoes
« on: January 04, 2012, 22:39:44 »
I read somewhere, but can't remember where, that the best (cheapest) way to grow new sweet potato slips is to take cuttings in the Autumn. I "borrowed" a side shoot from a plant in my friends greenhouse, back in September, I think, and it seemed to take root. It looked very unhappy when it started turning cold, so its now in the spare bedroom keeping warm til spring. Seems to be doing fine, and growing new leaves, though its only a couple of inches high. Has anybody propagated this way? and do you have any advice? When do you think it will be safe to go back to the greenhouse and does anybody actually grow theirs  outside? I have never tried growing sweet potato before.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Sweet Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 08:05:19 »
Keep it in the warm as long as possible... it might get quite large! Here in Derby I only grow them under glass... but have seen them grown successfully outside in Leicestershire..   :-\

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 22:25:09 »
I've resurrected this old thread to give an update on my sweet potato plant. It grew quite well in the greenhouse and spread in several directions, covering about 12 foot end to end. My question now is when do I dig it up? I have successfully taken 3 (and maybe more) cuttings to grow on again next year, so I'm hoping there is a worthwhile crop below ground. Has anybody dug theirs yet?

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 19:44:43 »
Yes -well no. I had a firkle and was a tad disappointed, however as I plonked them in between the tomatoes when I realised that the summer was not going to be good. Then did not water or feed as much as I think I should.  You never know there may be more buried when I clear out the toms and get stuck in!
Good luck with yours. How do you keep the cuttings going - in the house of GH?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 20:02:57 »
I've often been tempted to try sweet potatoes because I love them but I feel that the growing season in Scotland just isn't long enough. If anyone has managed them in Scotland, I'd love to hear their thoughts.

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 16:48:20 »
I can say that this does not work by just planting a sweet potatoes as you would do with seed potatoes.

Had loads of Kumara (sweet potato) in NZ - really nice

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 21:46:25 »
The new cuttings are on the windowsill in the spare bedroom and seem to be doing fine. There seems to be a lot of information on starting off your sweet potatoes, but very little feedback on the harvest, so although I'm looking to scale up next year, I'm not sure its a good idea. I guess I shall know when I finally dig mine, but I am loath to dig it while its alive in case the potatoes are still growing. Thanks for all comments so far, but has anybody actually had good results here in the UK?

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 21:57:41 »
I have tried them in a Greenhouse in Glasgow, but it was not worth the effort. They seem to get red spider mite very badly.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:25:42 »
I did get reasonable crop a couple of years ago, but have only been trying since we have had the miserable summers.
If it was the weather we were getting 10 years ago I suppose the watering would have been the issue! I am going to keep trying and am going to try and keep some going if last nights frost didn't put paid to that idea.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 18:00:04 »
Curiosity finally got the better of me today and I dug up my sweet potatoes. An amazing 1 kg of sweet potato though I haven't washed the dirt off yet. Quite variable in size, but enough to fill a standard dinner plate. In my view well worth persisting with, and hopefully I'll feel the same way after I have tasted them...

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 20:17:42 »
I've just read (in the California Rare Fruit Growers magazine crfg.org) that surplus sweet potato leaves and trimmings are edible and delicious - there is a recipe for turning them into crisps if anyone is interested?

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 01:10:10 »
I had two beauregard plants last year and put them in a sunny sheltered spot between the shed and the green house. I got absolutely nothing though. I'm sure it was the terrible summer, but I'm not planning on bothering with them this year. I've got some Oca tubers off eBay, so I'm going to try them instead this year.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 17:58:31 »
I've just read (in the California Rare Fruit Growers magazine crfg.org) that surplus sweet potato leaves and trimmings are edible and delicious - there is a recipe for turning them into crisps if anyone is interested?

Cheers.

Sounds yummy have you got a direct link as I couldn't find it?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 23:58:12 »

Cheers.

Sounds yummy have you got a direct link as I couldn't find it?

It's a great website for info on unusual crops and a brilliant magazine but unfortunately it's only available by subscription.

I'm sure the guys at CRFG won't mind me reproducing the recipe as a taster... I've put it in my Gallery while I work out how to display it on the page.

It's currently in the Recent section too.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 00:06:50 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 16:33:56 »
I can say that this does not work by just planting a sweet potatoes as you would do with seed potatoes.

Had loads of Kumara (sweet potato) in NZ - really nice

Well Dave if you see any Kumara for sale in the UK let me know. Kumara has the best flavour and texture of any sweet potato, my local sainsbury's sold it for a couple of years and I managed to grow some. I don't even like the other sweet potato.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal