Author Topic: Which are the best???  (Read 2581 times)

Ru1

• Quarter Acre
Which are the best???
« on: December 28, 2011, 00:54:35 »
Hi guys,

I would like some help in choosing the best tasting of the following veg:-

(1) Spanish onion/spanish onion type

(2) Red onion

(3) Butternut squash

I have grown Ailsa Craig as an onion before, but now I have my new allotment, I would like to grow onions that "pack a punch".

I have never grown Butternut squash, but I love it and would like to give it a go.  The 2 that I think are possibles are Hunter and Waltham.  However, If you have any other sweet tasting varieties, then please let me know.

If you could help out with recommendations, on any of the above, then I will be eternally greatful.

Many thanks

Ruth

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Which are the best???
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:03:57 »
We grew Harrier this year and were really chuffed with the amount of fruit on each plant.
the taste is also very good. They were grown in full sun.
Quite a few folks had failures this year. Sometimes it depends on whereabouts in the country you are.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:07:57 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:51:45 »
If you have never grown winter squash before I would not recommend a butternut to start with.

Butternuts are easier in the kitchen being easy to peel and chop up, so that is probably why they are popular in the supermarkets, but they can be difficult to ripen, and tasteless if they are not ripe, so I would start with other squash.

If you want sweet, I tried the High sugar mixed, of which the variety 'Celebration' seemed to grow the best.
Can't comment on the actual taste as have not tried them yet.

There are lots of other squash to try, my favorate is still Bon Bon, but probably because it is so different to the butternuts.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:53:22 by Chrispy »
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

John85

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 13:42:25 »
Are all the Bonbon F1 or is there also a non hybrid form?
The Butternut I prefer is the Maxi butternut.May be a invalid name ,just the local one.It doesn't have the guitar shape but a very long neck.IT has few seeds so little is wasted.The flavour is the same.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 21:23:38 »
Try Sturon and Stuttgarter onions. They are both a tried and tested onion and generally fail safe...  Red are mainly for salads etc..

I agree don't try the butternut -they do take a long time to ripen.. Rather other squashes or courgettes / marrows..

It really depends on your taste buds. Just grow what you can find and you will enjoy all your own grown veg...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 22:35:31 »
I am a great fan of Tromba D'albenga not exactly a butternut squash but same species.  Tends to be more productive if it is cooler..  Good flavour and very few seeds.  Tend to ooze out stickly sweet droplets so keep for a few days once cut.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:46:22 »
Walla walla is a good variety of sweet "Spanish" type onion.

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 16:17:34 »
We try different squashes each year but by far the sweetest that we have tried so far is Sucrine du Berry.

It might be an idea to grow an acorn squash to start with as they do not need curing like most squashes - they can be challenging if you need to peel them before cooking.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 17:33:16 »

Are all the Bonbon F1 or is there also a non hybrid form?
The Butternut I prefer is the Maxi butternut.May be a invalid name ,just the local one.It doesn't have the guitar shape but a very long neck.IT has few seeds so little is wasted.The flavour is the same.

Buttercup is the closest equivalent to the hybrid Bon Bon.
For example
http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_seed_item/2147

Ru1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 23:39:25 »
Thanks for all your help.

I will not try and grow butternut squash.

Thanks again for your suggestions

Ruth

Allotment-junkie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:55:18 »
Dont give in so easily , Get Some grown I am in South Yorkshire and do well with both Hunter and Waltham I get squashes 3 to 4 kg not many per plant but they are well worth the little effort you have to give them

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:49:33 »
we grew hunter butternut squash the other year from two plants i got about 25 fruits of decent size

i got more fruit from the one we put grass cuttings in the hole before the plant

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal