Author Topic: hot brew at the plot?  (Read 3959 times)

garden girl

hot brew at the plot?
« on: December 27, 2011, 01:24:06 »
Hello All   :D

Im new the the forum and also a very new allotment person.

Im catching up with hints and tips on the forum and cant wait for spring to get stuck into my new plot.

I was just wondering how you all keep yourselves going with a hot brew while your at your plot  ;)  In autumn when I first got my plot  I was relying on the old flask but wanted a fresh cuppa as I was there most of the day, I purched a lil gas stove but sadly this was nicked out of my shed.  I was looking at a ghillie kettle but there so pricey.  Just wondered how you all kept yourselves topped up while at the plot.   :)

plainleaf

• Hectare
Re: hot brew at the plot?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 01:40:57 »
there is always a camp fire powered by garden debris   

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 07:24:42 »
I do same as you garden girl, I take a flask but then to make tea, heat it up on gas stove or my pot bellied stove if it is lit. Luckily been safe up to now. No other ideas really, horrible that your stove got nicked.  :(
Welcome to the forum! :D :D

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:49:18 »
a portable stove is probably best, take it when you need it and don't leave anything valuable in your shed :D i don't just a few old tools etc,or if you get stuck in and work up a sweat a refreshing cold drink might do the trick? ;D
keep digging

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 09:12:28 »
I must admit that we take a flask of tea and a small flask of cold milk.  We've got camp stoves, but it all seems a bit of a faff.

In the summer, we take lime juice with plenty of ice in the flask.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 09:22:40 »
i use one of these they are great for boiling water, already have hard carry case, very light and gas is very cheap for them. it does what it says on the tin and can come home when you have finished.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Camping-Stove-Hard-Carry-Case-Included-Caravan-Camping-/160700234243?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item256a7afa03

Look around and you may find one cheaper.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 10:49:15 »
I have one like that too, and it’s great. Mainly because it’s so stable.  I use about two gas containers a year, at 20 kroner (app. 3 pounds) per container.
Was your shed broken into? Mine was last year - well actually it wasn’t locked, but nothing was taken. I wonder what they were looking for?  Obviously not a camping gas burner!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 13:25:59 »
we use one of those and I keep coffee,tea,hot chocolate sachets and everyones favourite a jar of Bovril.They're tucked away in a cool box.
We keep a couple of tins of beans for days when we're peckish.
sanity is overated

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 13:41:11 »
we have a double burner gas stove,with a grill too. we use it to cook stirfries on,from plot to plate within minutes,make the tea and also cheese on toast yum yum yum
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 16:39:40 »
i use one of these they are great for boiling water, already have hard carry case, very light and gas is very cheap for them. it does what it says on the tin and can come home when you have finished.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Camping-Stove-Hard-Carry-Case-Included-Caravan-Camping-/160700234243?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item256a7afa03

We also have one of these I even make a full English breakfast on it!!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 18:56:11 »
At various times I've used a big flask - a stainless steel unbreakable one is vital - a Primus and a volcano kettle. The latter is a wonderful piece of kit which was given to my church's charity shop. They're about £50 new, unfortunately; I don't know whether you can get them on eBay.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 22:47:36 »
Stirr frys and full Brekky on the plot... Now your'e talking!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

garden girl

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 22:58:33 »
Hello all and thank you for replying to me.

HippyDave  thats the same one as I had nicked from me  :-[  my sheds not locked, its not worth locking so Im told by the other plot people but I left it there by mistake so I only have myself to blame. 

I think Ill just have to invest in a new one but this time remember to  bring it home with me.  I dont mind taking a flask but nothing beats a fresh cuppa   ;)

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 11:56:05 »
You don't have to carry it to and fro just put it in a plastic sack and bury it-cover it with compost-old twigs  ,people only look in the likely places
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

garden girl

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 12:51:55 »
ahhhh yes :D   what a good idea , never thought of it that way.  Thanks Buster  Ill give it a go.  ;)

alexE

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 23:14:24 »
HippyDave  thats the same one as I had nicked from me  :-[  my sheds not locked, its not worth locking so Im told by the other plot people but I left it there by mistake so I only have myself to blame. 

find the person who told you not to lock your shed and ask them for your stove back (politely, of course  ;D)

we use a small portable stove too. You could try a trangeea, harder to light so less likely to be nicked

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 20:28:27 »
I used to have a small box for tea, suger and edables in the shed and this stayed put and i would take a flask of hot water and one of tea with me and they would leave with me.

If your going to go down the stove route which seams sensible and good value then i would not leave it in the plot even if there was a lock on the shed.

Have you considered building something out of reclaimed bricks ? Personally if we had been allowed fires i would have built one like this http://heatkit.com/graphics/bake/100715s.JPG

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 20:46:41 »
That is some barbie!!!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 22:01:40 »
My plot was very windy i wanted to use it as a wind brake as well :)

But looks brilliant and maybe even a private area for a toilet on one side :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal