Author Topic: exhibition onion people  (Read 1674 times)

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
exhibition onion people
« on: January 04, 2012, 13:08:50 »
i need some help dont worry im not after your secrets  ;D

i have my own from a few years ago to try which i forgot whats in there lol

anyway on to my matter i bought my seeds in dec 2010 would these still grow i sowed them on the 26th dec this year they were stored in a brick shed all year

when should i start seeing green above the compost

i sowed them in a tray watered them and covered them with a clear lid they were then put in the green house untill 2 days ago when i bought them in the house as it was abit chilly out there ive not watered them since as the compost is still damp now am i being too impatient

pumkinlover

Re: exhibition onion people
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 13:14:57 »
I find leeks and onions can be slow, sometimes I've chucked them out, sown more then found the first lot growing in the spent compost bucket!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 13:20:49 »
It is only 8 days... onions seem to take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks.. give them a chance and they will come up... You will find seed dates are a guide only and can be 10 years out of date and still be ok... but not guaranteed!!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 13:22:52 »
thanks guys i will have to wait and be patient then i hope they show up

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 13:25:19 »
they will...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 13:59:10 »
cheers its the first time ive tryed anything this early normally its march before i do much

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 15:21:32 »
I sowed my onion seed on 29th December, and put them on a north facing kitchen windowsill.
Today the first ones are emerging.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 21:13:07 »
Warm them up a bit. Mine took about 4 days to come through although it was fresh seed. I had them in an electric propagator in the living room. Not all are through yet but now I've put a lidl work light over the top and taken them out of the bottom heat. The rest will take their luck in the corner of the living room. By next week they'll be out in the conservatory where it is very cool indeed. But still with the light. This a new game for me too but I hope they'll come right :)

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 15:56:48 »
i dont think there gonna show prob not stored very well as they were left in the shed all year

had a little dig round in one of the trays and not even a sprout of any life never mind i will order fresh seed next year

and ill prob stick them in a heated propagator or something like that

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 20:28:54 »
ive got 2 showed up out of about 100 lol still i will plant them out to grow later will try with fresh seed later this year

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal