Author Topic: Bel Yoghurt Maker  (Read 14034 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Bel Yoghurt Maker
« on: December 04, 2011, 15:40:15 »
I have found my very old Bel Yoghurt Maker in the back of the cupboard, but guess what.......the instructions are not in the box!!!
I have done a Google search, but have not found the exact instructions, just a lot of different ideas.
Has anyone by chance got a set of instructions and can let me know the exact details.
Thank you :D

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: Bel Yoghurt Maker
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 15:48:29 »
We're in France (where I make yoghurt using the local farm's unpasturised full cream milk - amazing!) but I do have a Bel Yoghurt maker in UK where we will be shortly.  I use it there and it works well.  I can tell you precise instructions if you wait a few days and if no-one else comes up to help you.
I know you can use full cream/semi-skimmed/skimmed/evap milk.  The time you leave it switched on depends on the  temp of the milk.  You don't have to heat it first if it is pasturised, but I think I do usually as it is quicker.  I then cool it to about 38-40º, mix in a heaped spoonful of live yhoghurt, plus a spoonful of dried milk powder to help thicken it, mix well, and put it in the individual pots, leaving it in the Bel for 6 hours.  Colder than that needs longer time.
Hope this helps.  if you want more specific info tell me and I'll give it to you later!

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 17:25:17 »

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 18:00:40 »
Thanks, Peanuts - that is the best set of instructions I have read.

There is a lot of advice on the net, but some say heat the milk, others don't, some use UHT etc!!

Do you heat the milk just up to the boil?

I will give it a go tomorrow!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 18:17:28 »
I do generally heat up just till the  little bubbles appear.  Very necessary in using local raw milk, but not necessary with UHT milk which I use from time to time to lower fat intake, although yog is nothing like as good!
I then allow it to cool in the saucepan in cold water in sink, which takes minutes, keeping an eye on thermometer.  I've actually got a thermometer sold specifically for yoghurt, so it has the mark for the ideal temp, about  43º now I look at it!  I bought it from the best hardwear shop in the UK (well I and many others think so!) Garners Home in Exmouth.  They certainly had them last time we were there, but I can't find it on their website. It's a Brannan Yoghurt Thermometer.  If the temp is too high it won't work
Good luck

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 16:45:44 »
Just a quick update - now on the second batch of yogurt.

Anyone got any yoghurt recipes ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 18:45:18 »
When my girls were young I used to put some yoghurt in a freezer proof container & swirl some runny honey through it. Freeze & take out about 30mins before you want to eat it. They really didn't know they were eating yoghurt ;D.

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 06:32:07 »
We used quite a lot of homemade yoghurt in Asian recipes.  Makes some very tasty sauces for your meals.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 13:18:55 »
We eat a lot of yoghurt for little puddings, either with a little jam mixed in (I love making many different jams, and always have far too much in the storecupboard) plus muesli on top.  Or I cut up little pieces of fresh fruit whatever is in season, plus some raisins, little pieces of crystalised ginger, a few nuts, then yoghurt, and a drizzle of honey to finish it off

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal