Author Topic: Old cane arm chair- help to clean  (Read 9061 times)

pumkinlover

Old cane arm chair- help to clean
« on: November 29, 2011, 18:51:27 »
Hi
I have just bought an old cane chair -it is called "Lusty Loom"! any way it is really ditched in grimey and I have been trying to clean it.
Has anyone done anything like that, it is not easy as the dirt is in between the cane and it is vey fine.
So far I have tried scrubbing with cream cleaner on a toothbrush, then rinsing off in the shower. It does work but to get it anything like clean will need a lot more and I am worrying about getting it too wet :-\ :-\

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Old cane arm chair- help to clean
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 18:54:30 »
Would a steam clean be any use?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 19:26:16 »
http://www.lustyfurniturecompany.com/about_us.php

I have a Lloyd Loom chair, very battered, and have always understood it to be made of paper, therefore it should not be soaked: "invention of a special loom to weave twisted kraft paper into a woven fabric, which was partly reinforced with steel wire".

Maybe they have branched out into cane?

"Cleaning : To clean Lloyd Loom furniture we recommend that you use a weak solution of a household washing up liquid in warm water, on a soft (non abrasive) sponge and dab dry using a soft cloth.
For any difficult marks, use a medium/soft toothbrush with a weak solution of a household washing up liquid in warm water and dab dry using a soft cloth."

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 19:35:48 »
Strap it to your roofrack and go through the carwash.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 20:00:40 »
[attachment=1]

Thank you for the replies- Grannyjanny and Ace - I might give a miss to your suggestions!
Artichoke -that is so useful. I never thought to look on the internet because it never occured to me that an old British firm like that would still be going strong. I am so ashamend  :-[ :-[ :-[
Anyway it has survived my dreadful teatment, but I will not be doing that again to my poor lovely chair.
It will have to stay mucky as a soft/ medium toothbrush and washing up liquid will never clean it up the dirt is so ingrained. I did get a lot out before I realised how it was made. What a pl******r!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 22:00:32 »
Lidls used to do & probably still do & Quality save do a 'magic sponge' You just to dampen the sponge with water & squeeze out any excess. They get all sorts of marks off all sorts of things. I gave one to my friend who lives in Portugal & she was amazed at what it can & is going to take loads back with her after Christmas. I could send you one to try ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 23:51:42 »
Well I  got that wrong didn't I . After seeing the picture I would strap it to your roof rack and take it to the tip.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 07:37:01 »
That looks exactly like my chair, but much newer and cleaner! Mine was demoted to living in the garden shed, where wasps made the largest nest that I have ever seenaround an arm and on to the sea. They may even have eaten the paper to make the nest with!

I still have it as an occasional garden chair with lots of cushions.

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:31:25 »
I would put a couple of nice chintz cushions on it and it will look lovely
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 12:31:00 »
Lidls used to do & probably still do & Quality save do a 'magic sponge' You just to dampen the sponge with water & squeeze out any excess. They get all sorts of marks off all sorts of things. I gave one to my friend who lives in Portugal & she was amazed at what it can & is going to take loads back with her after Christmas. I could send you one to try ;D
Thanks a lot GJ, but there is a Lidl just down the road to us, but  a kind offer, I will have a look in there. I think I will neeed a magic wand to get the grim out of the tiny areas!.
I will make a throw and cushions to cover it but may contact the company for further advice. Again Ace thanks for your kind advice, I suppose it's a bit old fashioned for you, you modern guys probably get your furniture from Ikea. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:35:09 »
It looks ok..but if you think it still needs some 'work'..try bleach..
I would make strong bleach water..and dab with cloth dibbed into the solution..just keep the cloth not-too-wet...and let the chair dry out...
Bleach if not lifting any dirt..it would at least lighten the dirt and the 'canes'..and desinfect too..
Once dry give it good brush again with stiff brush...I don't think there is much else that you can do about it anymore... :-\
If it still don't look clean enough for you..you could always give it a paint job..well diluted emulsion would soak in and not look too 'pasty'...or strong tea brushed on would stain it nicely giving slightly darker look.. ;)

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 12:42:48 »
It has the dark tea look when I got it Goodlife- nicotine I suspect ;D ;D ;D though it does not smell like me Dad's furniture did when I inherited it. (Never knew wood absorbed nicotine smells but it does!)
I was thinking of an aerosal type of spray, I should look old enough to be allowed to buy one ;)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 13:43:52 »
 I would certainly contact the company.   If no joy there an aerosal would be great to cover it, BUT you must do it very finely  & do about 3/4 fine coats drying in between it will make a lovely job then.
 PS do not start in the same place everytime. ;D

Let us know what LUSTY LLOYD LOOM say would you please. ;D  Good luck.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 13:59:57 »
a quick pressure wash?

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 14:05:51 »
a quick pressure wash?

Apparently it's made out of  paper  :( I need to change the title of the thread :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal