Author Topic: Punctured lining by the local Heron  (Read 7065 times)

queenbee

• Acre
Punctured lining by the local Heron
« on: November 26, 2011, 23:23:18 »
Could anyone tell me how to find a puncture in the lining of my pond. The Heron has been there and decimated my frog population. he has punctured the lining on the first shelf of my pond. I am unable to find the puncture and it would be a hell of a job replacing the lining. What can I do?   
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Punctured lining by the local Heron
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 21:33:57 »
I don't have any easy ideas on how to find a slow leak - if it is a heron stab then it should be in the top 30-40cm - you might be able to feel it with a bare hand (not this weather!). Otherwise you will have to take the level down, and scrub the liner as you go to find it.

I hope someone can suggest a more direct solution (that doesn't involve radioisotopes and a geiger counter) - I would love to know.

Fixing a small leak in situ is no real problem - you can buy bitumen-treated patches that will stick to (very well cleaned and dry) butyl liners and remain waterproof afterwards.

If your liner isn't butyl it's worth considering changing to butyl anyway.

PVC can be glued - the glue is readily available for patching airbeds.

You can also use silicone and a patch made from an offcut - but if you don't use aquarium grade silicone you will have to leave it above water for at least a week to cure (and you will always have doubts - depending on how expensive your fish are).

You could try using a hot glue gun but I've never tried it - this is the only thing I can think of that would work on dry polythene though I'd be inclined to slip a patch and glue through the hole too - so the mend became a sandwich.

I think my best suggestion is to fix your liner and then get some old slates out of a skip and tailor them to cover the first shelf of your pond. The heron won't get through those!

Of course he might strike sideways into the wall - and that's a lot trickier to armour.

Hope this helps - everything except the bitumen patch is experimental.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 21:52:01 »
What about adding some flour to the water near where you think the hole is and see if you can see a trail of flour being sucked down into the hole??

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:04:33 »
What about adding some flour to the water near where you think the hole is and see if you can see a trail of flour being sucked down into the hole??

If you can see the pond going down from one hour to the next then it might work, but my leaks have always been into clay - even cm-wide heron spikes just lose a dribble - I lose an inch or two per day, max.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:41:35 »
Surely if you have a punctured lining the water level would just drop down to that mark, and there is your leaking hole :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal