Author Topic: Busy or what!  (Read 1660 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Busy or what!
« on: November 26, 2011, 21:17:13 »
Had to nip up and look at a new job near Kingston today. Decided to go shopping in Guildford, couldn't get near the place, was everything on offer in the shops? Skipped back on the A3 and went through  the new tunnel at Hindhead, I haven't used the road in years because of the bottleneck at Hindhead, but will use it a lot more now, lovely road.

Decided to get my bit of shopping in Southampton instead. Millions of people and the diet must be working as most of them could not even see me and tried to walk right through me. Stupid German xmas market selling all sorts of tat. What is wrong with having an English Xmas market, selling all sorts of tat. Why do we need johnny foreigner taking our money especially as it is still november.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Busy or what!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 21:29:41 »
What makes me seething mad about these "German markets" is that they are I believe paid to come, get prime positions in the city centre and loads of advertising whilst our own markets stuck at the other side of town have to pay rent, rates and don't get free advertising.  Furthermore the good burghers of Brum have seen fit to ensure that very few buses run round that part of town.  Have you also noticed that people who would not dream of shopping in a local market willingly spend shedloads of dosh on this overpriced tat.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 21:41:46 »
You should've called in ACE, once you got parked! Nice tunnel home though, isn't it?!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 22:11:04 »
once you got parked!

I was parked, on the A3 junction into Guildford. Then I had a 'white van' moment and  got back out again onto the dual carriageway. Like you say though, a definate improvement on the road to the south island.  Guildford to Pompey 35 mins.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 22:34:45 »
The German Market is very popular in Brum and it is good for food and booze,the gifts are a bit odd and expensive.Always a good atmosphere and best visited after nightfall.

A lovely traditional oldie worlde English Market could be created and I would welcome that.........I think it would beat the German Market hands down given a chance.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 22:40:05 »
Totally agree,why go to Imported Euro Christmas Themed City centres when you can go to the home of Yule tide
Deutsche Fest in its homeland.
Lets all poke a stick in the eye of anything seasonal and jump on the euro star and spend our hard earned cashola
in Bavarian Hofbrauhauses and saunter through the packed alleys of Brits abroad, arms wincing with the weight of
Christmas Goodies and a hot cup of traditional Gluhwein balanced on their top lip and a steaming great Bratwurst lodged like winstones cigar jutting from the corner of their gobs..!!!!!!!!!!!!

but yay,the funding is short,so no anticipated excitement of the journey over seas just the impending queues
of Johny NON foreigner beating down the door of the Bath City car park to pounce on the watered down Mulled wine stand and the Un authentic Brat Kartoffel thats only German influence is an out of date smear of Mustard....trouble is......we all think its the real thing....go figure.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 22:48:53 »
"Twinning towns" and "jollies for the head honchos" all seem to spring to mind with these markets. >:(

I will use the old road when going the Hindhead way, the poor traders have lost out as another bypass hits a town.

Fond memories of Hindhead, my first trip away from home on a school camp!

Ninnyscrops

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 06:20:15 »

the poor traders have lost out as another bypass hits a town.

If I wanted a concrete dog or a hot tub, I would still go to Hindhead. I never saw anything else there to buy when we used to have to slowly  pass through. But as there was no parking there anyway what difference does it make. I bet the natives in their mock georgian mansions love the smell of clean air instead of diesel fumes.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal