Author Topic: remote key fob for car not working!!!  (Read 7303 times)

steve76

• Acre
remote key fob for car not working!!!
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:22:36 »
Hi all
 I brought a second hand car about 12 months ago now for me for work, it only come with the one key fob that does work, i thought it be safe to get a spare key so i brought a key fob from ebay and a local key cutter done the blank for me the problem i have is the new key will open the door and turn the engine over but the engine will not start it just cranks over and it will not let me program it to the car for the remote to work??? i ve done what it says in the manual to program the key when you do a battery change but still no joy, the manual does say about a master key which i don't have... any ideas please..

Thanks Steve.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: remote key fob for car not working!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:31:28 »
take it to the dealer

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:32:01 »
no idea but good luck getting it sorted,im sure someone will be along in a min who can help
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:09 »
Master key I think, better get a bank loan  :(

I don't expect you will get the answer in an open forum but a garage might be able to solve the problem if they can plug in their computor and re-configure the engine management system. Not cheap again. Just never let you working key out of your sight.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 23:52:29 »
It may or may not be possible to reprogram the key.

What you need to do is post an picture of the key to identify it, and  what is the make, modeland year of the car ?

The key may mechanically turn the ignition, but the radio part of the key might need programming with the ignition code. You might or might not need the red master key.  On a mondeo, for axample, the radio part of the key operate sthe alarm. Its possible to lock and unluck the door and start the car with a mechanical key, but you cannot set and unset the alarm, or remotely operate the central locking, without the radio part.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 23:55:25 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 00:21:02 »
We have a simular problem in that Harriet has at some point in a shopping trip got hold of my car keys and lost them :( luckly the husband had his. New set is £280 and its another £120 for the licence and software update to program the key!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 00:21:21 »
DONT TELL THE DEALER YOU GOT THE KEY ON EBAY !!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 07:40:56 »
Take the car and key to the correct dealer (Jag, Ford, Vaux, BMW) or whatever, and they will reprogramme the key, the last one I took along was a top of the range Lexus and I'm afraid that cost £350 three years ago, :)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 09:02:31 »
If you have a working key you might be able to save a lot of money by getting one or two from Timpsons who now are able to cut and programme a lot of the car key now. I saved over £200 for getting a spare for mine from the dealer price.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 09:15:58 »

What you need to do is post an picture of the key to identify it, and  what is the make, modeland year of the car ?

This would be a big NO, NO on any motoring forum, due to security issues. Some undesirable people have the wherewithal to copy anything from the slightest hint. Picture your insurance company rubbing their hands when they are proccessing your claim for a stolen car and they find out you posted that sort of information on an open forum.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 11:04:04 »

This would be a big NO, NO on any motoring forum, due to security issues. Some undesirable people have the wherewithal to copy anything from the slightest hint. Picture your insurance company rubbing their hands when they are proccessing your claim for a stolen car and they find out you posted that sort of information on an open forum.

complete  rubbish.

Even if you were able to copy the key profile, it only fits your car, and they have no idea which car is yours. Secondly, without the code programmed into the key, its pretty much usless anyway.

Ill tell you what, ill post you  a picture of my Renault Scenic Key,  you tell me the registration numberof my car from it.

SO,  presumably you can now tell me the registration number of my Renaul SCenic (out of the 170,000 sold i nthe UK), plus where in the country i am, down to where the car is parked, and you presumably can program your copy of the key without access to the information and resources the Manufacturer has (who still needs to know the VIN number to do it). Otherwise, without all that additional knowledge, the image of the key is useless to you.

You need to stop believing some of the bollox you read on the internet. I frequent many forums, including pistonheads.com, the largest UK car enthusiast one. No where have I ever seen anyoen say 'i posted a picture of my key and my car got stolen'. 

What the OP needs to do is identify the exact key type and see how its programs, then you can determine wehther it needs the red key. Some radio systems use and increment hash code for the keys which changes at certain points, it may well be all he has to do is follow the key programming stesp to resynch the key with the car.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:26:24 by lincsyokel2 »

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 11:17:29 »
I worked for a main dealership several years who also sold other makes of cars that came in and were good enough to go on the forecourt, but when it came to keyfobs and engine management systems etc if a problem occurred on these cars it was back to the appropriate dealership, no one carries every hardware garage system :),

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 12:14:10 »
I dont need your registration. Your post code will do me fine, Available from many agencys.

The criminally minded can get whatever they want with their hacking skills as has been proved many times

But you are quite safe, nobody in their right mind would nick a scenic.

The matter of my posting was a bit of scaremongering I know but the gist of my posting is be careful what you let people know on an open forum.

I totally agree about reading the bollox writtten on the internet. That is why you are usually on my ignore list. I had forgotten to switch it on.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 12:23:12 »
If you can find a 4 digit code anywhere, this may be the engine imobalizer override code.
You have to enter it each time, but if the spare is just for emergencies then this will not matter.

The problem is, the code is most likely to be attached to the master key, so you probably don't have it, but it may be worth a look through any paperwork you do have.

But I agree with most, your main dealer is your best option.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 14:10:36 »
I dont need your registration. Your post code will do me fine, Available from many agencys.

The criminally minded can get whatever they want with their hacking skills as has been proved many times

But you are quite safe, nobody in their right mind would nick a scenic.

The matter of my posting was a bit of scaremongering I know but the gist of my posting is be careful what you let people know on an open forum.

I totally agree about reading the bollox writtten on the internet. That is why you are usually on my ignore list. I had forgotten to switch it on.

Ok, whats my postcode?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 16:38:35 »
It took me 5 clicks to get the first five characters of your postcode (and your wife's name too!).  If I was prepared to pay £1.66 I could get the last character.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 17:09:49 »

Ok, whats my postcode?

Just because I questioned your post, you have once again got confrontational. If you had taken the time to read the full post you might have noticed I did state the criminally minded could do the things you are challenging me do do. Fortunately I do not fit into that mould. I have not a clue  or even the inclination to even try. My son could do it if I asked, he could even stop and start most modern cars with his phone, but he is a skilled mechanic and has all sorts of resources to hand. Good job he is honest too, but there are quite a few that are not.

I know I am right in offering advice on keeping a car secure, and that's good enough for me.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 18:33:48 »
Well said Ace, now lets all be nice, yes lincs that includes you.   ;)      :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 18:54:09 »
I took my key which has broken to a key cutting shop and he had a little machine and put the key in and came up with the code on a little digital readout.  Still pver £100 so putting up with it broken.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 19:18:12 »
Many thanks for the replys all
 Looks like i will have to keep my only working key out of the reach  of the kids and save up to get in to the dealer..

Many thanks people..
Steve.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal