Author Topic: Supporting new members (buddy scheme)  (Read 2161 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Supporting new members (buddy scheme)
« on: November 13, 2011, 19:20:15 »
As quite a few people were interested I thought I would give an update on how this is going. We met for our 3rd meeting this morning. Attendance is improving as the word starts to spread. The sessions are about 45 minutes and always feature a chance for a brew, cake and chat. We also give reminders of important information and information on what jobs are essential over the next month.  Each month then features some 'mini bites'on selected topics. So far we have looked at: getting started/clearing a plot, had a talk from a plotholder who was new last year and won our best half plot award and then this week we looked a crop rotation and shared recipe ideas.

You can have a nosey on our buddy section on our website for more information. http://www.granvilleparkallotments.org.uk/about-us/buddyscheme.html

I think the plan for next month is to share some plans for making e.g a planting rule, bird box, compost bin etc

Other ideas we have for next year include:

*More recipe sharing
*asking experienced members to do short bites on 'growing for showing', 'organic gardening', 'raised bed gardening' 'growing flowers for cutting'

Do you have any suggestions on topics we can cover. The idea is a brief introduction to get people thinking.

;D

betula

• Hectare
Re: Supporting new members (buddy scheme)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 19:27:26 »
I suppose you have already covered it but have you thought of explaining what needs protecting from Frost,birds ,rabbits etc..

How to do carrot fly walling.

How to earth up Potatoes.

Growing sweet corn in blocks and why.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Supporting new members (buddy scheme)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 21:38:20 »
Seed saving. Diseases and pests, and how to minimise them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal