Author Topic: Wasp Nests  (Read 5106 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Wasp Nests
« on: September 28, 2011, 21:02:06 »
We have a wasp nest on the compost heap of our community allotment. The children from the local school work on our allotments so we are anxious to get rid of the nest as soon as possible. I would really appreciate  advice anyone could give on the best way to get rid of it, as it is really inconvenient not being able to use the compost heap as well as the fear of being stung. Thanks, busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

betula

• Hectare
Re: Wasp Nests
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 21:09:06 »
Nests can have several hundred wasps in them so if they are disturbed they can be very dangerous.

Either do not use the heap until after the frosts or call in the Council.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 21:14:49 »
We had a wasp nest in the roof above a bedroom window. We contacted the council. It cost £40 for it to be treated with Ficam D powder, Bendiocarb 1%, which was very effective. The problem in your case may be that I think Ficam is regarded as toxic and your nest will be immediately accessible . I feel sure your local council will advise you if you give them the details.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 21:21:10 »
Sympathise with your predicament but I try to live with wasps- hmm not literally- since someone said they eat greenfly! Can you not wait till the cold weather- we put a barrier round the wasp nest area for our open day and that hazard tape as a warning.
When it gets cold you can get stuck in!

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:36:52 »
I find that ant powder can be quite effective.

Observe them to see where the "door" is, ie where they enter and leave the heap and then put a good puff or two of ant powder there, ideally when there is not a huge amount of activity.

petefj

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:24:32 »
Can you isolate the site and leave them alone?  Come the cold weather they'll all be dead and gone.

See http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th4.htm

Peter
If you can keep your head, whilst those around you are losing theirs,
you obviously don't realise the full horror of your situation.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 09:13:38 »
I had one in a flower border last year & just let them get on with it as the fruit trees were only babies & not producing much, a few weeks ago there was a large crater about a foot in diameter in the same place, I guess the nest had just collapsed.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 09:39:34 »
Can you isolate the site and leave them alone?  Come the cold weather they'll all be dead and gone.

See http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th4.htm

Peter

That's what we did... spotted a huge nest... moved away and left them to it. No bother at all as we didn't need to be poking about at the back of the garage and no one else goes near by. :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 10:02:03 »
I sympathise as well.  I was going to ask a question myself.  We have a site day on Sunday and we are supposed to be repairing and painting the site hut.  However there is a nest and it is hidden inbetween the inner and outer wall with wasps flooding in and out via a few holes.  I cant expect people to be banging and sawing etc but I am loathe to just terminate the nest..
Do they just die off over winter if I leave them - surely some must survive??
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

meter rat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:32:26 »
The nest will die off as it's done it's job. New queens will leave and find some where warm and dry to hibanate. And so the cycle will start again. Wasps don't usually nest in the same place twice. If you can leave them well alone by the first frosts they will be gone.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 14:21:41 »
The nest will die off as it's done it's job. New queens will leave and find some where warm and dry to hibanate. And so the cycle will start again. Wasps don't usually nest in the same place twice. If you can leave them well alone by the first frosts they will be gone.

i agree   live and let live    :)
i don't belive death is the end

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 19:51:34 »
I leave them alone; they do no harm and a lot of good. If you must kill them, wait till evening so all the wasps are in the nest, tip a cup of petrol into the hole, and block it up with something. In that sort of situation ordinary poison isn't always as effective as you'd hope because it's too easy for them to find or make another entrance, avoiding the stuff. Petrol fumes penetrate, and are extremely effective.

peterjf

• Not So New ...
  • pete and sue in newland ave allotments
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 11:42:56 »
we found that using the cheap spray from wilkos stores worked well on killing wasp nests,

just before dark spray the nest as directed on the spray can, the following morning spray the nest again,

wasps like a dry warm places , for the futurs i would recommend empty a few watering cans of compost activator onto the composting area

keep turning the compost over, dont give the wasps a chance of getting snuggled and cumfy in your compost

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 19:44:15 »
I've a 'permanent' one under the hedge ::). I need to take action by petrol or digging out over winter.Live and let live is ok until you have a daughter who is violently allergic to wasp stings. Also they wreck the fruit. I catch hundreds every year in sugar jars dispersed around. But still they survive even last years cold winter. Although I haven't seen so many queens trying to get into the house this autumn. Perhaps they've found a better hole...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 00:53:35 »
Whereabouts are you? I've heard of cases of nests surviving mild winters in the warmest parts of the UK, but I'm surprised that it should have got through last winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal