Author Topic: Pruning Thyme (and sage)  (Read 6672 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Pruning Thyme (and sage)
« on: February 10, 2005, 12:17:59 »
When is it safe to prune thyme and sage?

(I really need to cut my sage bush back this weekend so I actually have room to get my shallots in - it's taking over the bed - or would that kill it?)

And can I take cuttings from both when I prune them?
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Pruning Thyme (and sage)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 12:50:15 »
Yes to cuttings from both when you prune, and if the sage is very woody, dig it out and grow fresh from seed.  Well, that is what I do.  It germinates very easily and you have a nice compact plant again with loads of soft tender leaves. With my thyme, I don't really need to prune it as I use so much it keeps it very neat and tidy, poor thing, but I would just nip over the tops with a pair of scissors.  If you really wanna keep the sage, I can't see why you couldn't trim it back now, I would probably trim a little, then a little more in a few weeks time, and then a little more a few weeks after that rather than give it a huge hair cut when it is still so cold and things haven't really sprung into growth yet.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 13:14:35 »
Good idea EJ, my mum was cross with my dad for giving the sage a hair cut the other week -she'd none for the pork. What's worse I ended up missing the phone call and buying sage rather than taking our own up, still the pork was free (and v. tasty) ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 13:19:41 »
Thanks both. That was my worry, EJ, about the cold. I think I'll just cut back the bits that are in the way and leave the rest til it's warmer.

I might try drying some of the prunings too. Actually being as we don't use that much, maybe they'd be better off on the compost.
gone to pot :D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 16:04:58 »
As my parents have just moved house, I took some cuttings from their old thyme plant a month or so ago and they rooted ok in sandy compost (quarter sand 3 quarters GP compost) in a propagator at about 17 degrees C.

The problem with seeds is you can only get the plain thyme and sage for the variegated ones you need to take cuttings

Phil

I think the pruning should take place at the end oif the growing season to keep the plants as bushy as possible - but then where do you get fresh herbs during the winter?

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 16:26:38 »
Thyme and sage can become woody, so often harvesting and light pruning is ok.and will encourage leaf growth.
I prune lightly several times a year in in fall one third of the tops.
after 3 years I replace the plants, make cuttings. they root easy enough.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 16:28:30 »
Lady C

When do you find cuttings take best?

Phil

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 17:09:02 »
Yes - need to know. We especially need to propagate our broad leaved thyme. = Tim

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 17:45:01 »
Thyme seems very easy when I've done it in early autumn. Sage has taken OK but I haven't managed to get it through to planting -lack of discipline.

Jeremy

Reminds me -must plant the year before lasts Thyme

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 22:02:32 »
Some sage varieties live 30 years and longer without dying in the middle, but most sages need light pruning.

I take cuttings of sage and thyme during late spring and summer. From healthy plants, only top growth cuttings. 90 % will root.
Cuttings taken later, sept, oktobre, take much longer to root.
Cutting about 5 inches, root within 3 weeks.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 09:29:09 »
Lady C,

Many thanks

Phil

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal