Author Topic: IN NEED OF ADVICE ON HOW TOO GROW CELERY  (Read 5296 times)

Carrot Cruncher

• Not So New ...
IN NEED OF ADVICE ON HOW TOO GROW CELERY
« on: February 09, 2005, 22:38:57 »
I LAST TRYED TO GROW CELERY WHEN I WAS ABOUT 14 YEARS OLD AND I HAD A BAD RESULT AND WOULD LOVE TO GIVE IT A GO AGAIN. SO I NEED ADVICE AS IT WILL SOON BE TIME TO SOW THE SEEDS. I UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE HARD THINGS TO GROW AND THAT THEY ARE HIGH MAINTENACE BUT I LIKE A CHALLENGE  ANY IDEA WHAT VERIETY TO GO FOR ???ANY INFOMATION WOULD BE GREATFULLY RECIEVEDb][/b]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      THANKS CC

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
Re: IN NEED OF ADVICE ON HOW TOO GROW CELERY
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 22:57:34 »
Hi CC, growing celery.... how do you want to do it??? The easy or the difficult way.... Nowadays  make your choice. Because there are two different varieties: easy: the self-blanching varieties or with a lot of effort: the trench varieties.
The trench varieties have , of course, the best flavour!!! ;D
Easy: self blanching: require no trenching and no earthing up, but are less stringy than trench ones. Good choice: Celebrity
If you decide for the trech varieties than you have to prepare trenches and earth up the stems all the time when the green leaves are shown. That is to make them larger and to reduce the stringiness and improve flavour.  Good choice: Giant pink and Dwarf white.

Carrot Cruncher

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 23:05:37 »
THANKS FOR THAT LADY COSMOS I HAVE LOTS OF LAND AND WILL TRY OUT BOTH METHODS AND SEE WHAT TURN OUT THE BEST                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                REGARDS CC         

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 08:41:04 »
And to blanch the stems, Lady?

We've always had better results from self-blanching - far less slug damage.  But it needs LASHINGS of water. The splitting of the trench variety shown in my earlier photo, I now find, was also due to dry roots. Celebrity was good this year. Do grow in 'blocks' -  8-9" spacing between plants, & put a 6" high ventile barrier - such as green mesh, all around to help blanch the outer rows.

One disadvantage of s/b is that it does not go through the frosts without protection. = Tim

PS Some recommend surface sowing.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 09:14:58 by tim »

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 11:06:32 »
There's an even easier option too: leaf celery or 'parcel'.

This has all the taste of celery but looks like parsley and is as easy as parsley to grow. It thrives in light shade and grows all winter under cover. I use it all the time when I want the taste of celery in a soup or stock.

Admittedly, it's a bit coarse to eat in salad but I'd still rank it as an essential crop.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 20:32:00 »
I have been trying to find out about celery so thank you all , I shall get some self blanching seeds , can I sow them now,

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 21:50:40 »
I can't stand cellery but I love celeriac......... my missus always says I'm wierd :-\

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 07:14:01 »
Celeriac is one of the best & most versatile veggies in the world!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 12:59:07 »
Ooo I agree Tim.  Only discovered celeriac last year and only planted one row and it is still in situ....well 6 are left from the 30 odd that were planted, they have been so good!  I use them as an alternative to spuds and the young central leaves I have been using in salads.  I tried celery, but absolutely no joy what so ever.  Shall I try again this year?

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 14:11:11 »

I too have bought celery seeds.

Shall give them a try and see what happens ... if anything!

Debs

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 17:13:20 »
EJ - oh yes! If you have too much, you can always freeze it for cooking.

You've tried celeriac fried, of course?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 17:36:21 »
Oh yes Tim, celeriac chips, celeriac crisps, celeriac gratin, celeriac mash, celeriac game chips, raw in salads even! ;D

I shall give the celery another go.  When should I sow??

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 17:56:00 »
What do you mean 'even'? Of course!! For those new to it, do hold in acidulated water till needed.

Celery? As you know, I'm not one for rushing - it'll be early March & again 3 weeks later. I'm trying VidaVerde's 'Full White' self-blanching this year. Can't recall if you had some? They warn not to let propagating temp get below 10C for more than 12 hrs or they will bolt. They recommend putting straw in between the plants to help blanching, but I worry about that helping slugs??
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 19:32:43 by tim »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 18:06:05 »
I can't remember either Tim.  I shall go though my seed box and see what I have and have a read.  I can't possibly be beaten...................can I.................... :-\

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 19:33:26 »
If you need it, we have it!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 13:35:03 »
And, of course, in bubble & squeak?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 08:45:22 »
Emma, or anyone -  if you have Full White - I was surprised to see a harvest date of October. Most s/b types are autumn, which is so very limiting. So - checked with the firm and - hooray!!

"Hi, it stands fine through quite heavy frosts - we are still eating it now in end Feb.  We don't have an earlier type, largely because we mainly tend to use celery as a winter veg (particularly celery soup & braised celery) & salad.

best wishes
Kate"

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 09:05:28 »
Tim is right on the versatility front - you only have to watch the TV to see that the whole vegetable can be used for entertainment

The stalks can be used, when wetted, to heighten enjoyment of naughty things - 'Allo 'Allo

The roots, being turnip-like, can have all sorts of uses and be very valuable - Black Adder

Phil  ;D

Sorry John, as you have left the country that is probably lost on you

hesperis2000

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 12:37:01 »
 :)EASY CELERY
last year i sowed 'giant red' in early march in the greenhouse- put it out in july or so and that was the last thing i had to do to it.
I get leaf and stem- not as much stem as if i had trenched it up but good 10inch stems, thin and full of flavour- great for soups. The plants are bomb proof- really nasty severe frosts did not trouble it - this is in a bit of a frost pocket in mid scotland - chilly.  The plants are still going strong - i look forward to collecting seed this summer- i reckon all that would 'do for it' would be prolonged dry weather- celery being originally a plant of damp habitats.
It doesnt get any easier than this- i take a few stems at a time -on a cut and come again basis.
Next year i'll do exactly the same- maybe try a row to trench up and get longer stems.
I got 'Red Giant' or 'Giant Red' as it is sometimes named ,from Suttons, i think Chiltern seeds has it ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 12:57:27 »
"The best large stalked celery we have seen. Stalks are large like standard green celery. This variety is more tender and mild than the smaller "Red""

That's a new one surely - c&c celery??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal