Author Topic: Comfrey- still worth cutting?  (Read 2491 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Comfrey- still worth cutting?
« on: October 29, 2011, 15:40:30 »
Is it worth making a last cut of comfrey or is it best to leave leaves on for protection over winter?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Comfrey- still worth cutting?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 15:55:21 »
I always leave the last growth to the plants. I'm not sure if it makes any difference to their well being but I always feel like its better to leave the last leaves to feed the grown.
And as I don't need them this time of the year neither...it makes 'life' easier too... ;)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 16:08:27 »
Comfrey is practically impossible to kill, you can abuse and neglect  it as much as you like. It will makje no odds to the plant if you chop it down now. I dont even do it with any care, i just bend the leaves over and chop down with the spade.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 16:20:47 »
I'm going to cut mine again during next week, then add the leaves to the compost heap.

Being a perennial the plants die right back for the winter.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 17:28:38 »
Thanks- might as well make use of it, then! :)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 18:57:20 »
I steep mine in a water butt - the more the merrier - it always recovers!
Grow yer bugger grow!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 19:28:46 »
I always believed you should not cut late into the season, so as the leaves die down they feed the plant. Do you feed the comfrey with household liquid manure? To be honest it is so tough that it will survive and flourish whatever :D

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:16:21 »
mine is in it's first yr on the lotti (planted in Feb) and i've been nurturing it quite nicely. i didn't get round to cutting it properly, only the deadheading of the flowers. will it be best to do that now as the leaves are turning already. the foliage in this 9'x4' bed is quite immensed so i don't think a haircut will do too much damage, will it?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:33:22 »
I seem to remember reading from somewhere..years ago..that the last 'crop' of leaves should be left on plant to feed the crown too.. :-\
But as comfrey is tough plant and I do find it hard to kill it..even if trying..I'm sure if you need you leaves it won't do any harm to it. You could still leave few leaves attached to it..just be safe side.. ;)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 11:46:17 »
I seem to remember reading from somewhere..years ago..that the last 'crop' of leaves should be left on plant to feed the crown too.. :-\
But as comfrey is tough plant and I do find it hard to kill it..even if trying..I'm sure if you need you leaves it won't do any harm to it. You could still leave few leaves attached to it..just be safe side.. ;)

I dont see how that works. The leaves will shrivel and die anyway, and leaves only have two functions, to aspirate the plant by taking up co2, and as a dumping ground for waste, which is why the leaves shed.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 12:59:00 »
Code: [Select]
I dont see how that works Err..which bit?
It certainly makes sense that if you continually remove all the top growth..you would..in theory at least..weaken the plant. 
Comfrey has perennial roots that it stores its 'energy' for to emerge again next year...or was it the word crown that you didn't 'like'?
So in theory..if you don't harvest all the green leaves in autumn..those leaves should still be able function and 'feed' the plant..so it can regrow strongly again in spring.
I've been 'digging' into my books and RHS book of organic gardening seem to support this..although it doesn't go any further explaining why..."allow sufficient regrowth before the winter, the last cut should take place no later than early autumn"
Yes, the roots are the part of the plant that do take up the nutrients and water from the ground..but without the leaves the roots not able to sustain the plants...no 'food' (carbohydrates) can be manufactured without chlorophyll that leaves produce. It is more than just CO2 and 'waste'.
Wikipedia says:"Comfrey can continue growing into mid-Autumn, but it is not advisable to continue taking cuttings after early Autumn in order to allow the plants to build up winter reserves. As the leaves die back and break down in winter, nutrients and minerals are transported back to the roots for use the following spring."
But..what do I know..I'm only mortal gardener..not scientist.. ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal