Author Topic: Rain forecast for tomorrow but I will not hold my breathe  (Read 3031 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Rain forecast for tomorrow but I will not hold my breathe
« on: October 26, 2011, 18:44:03 »
The weather forecast is showing heavy rain half the night and most of the day.  It is soooo needed.   We have hardly any rain since February.  A couple of morinings in July and a few heavy showers, a few episodes of drizzle and that is all.

It will take quite a bit of rain to sort out about two feet or more of dry ground.

Any rain dances for me would be hugely appreciated.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Rain forecast for tomorrow but I will not hold my breathe
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 19:26:49 »
We had a havy thunderstorm here last night- quite bizarre after a sunny autumn day. It reminded me i need to disconnet my water butt!

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 20:38:10 »
Couldn't immediately work out the strange noise when I woke this morning - it was RAIN!!!! & it has carried on for most of the day, wonderful.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 21:25:23 »
We've had light showers here on and off all day and a few overnight showers this week but nothing to write home about.   :-\
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 21:32:45 »
We had rain overnight and then torrential rain this afternoon - with hailstones!
Grow yer bugger grow!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 22:17:17 »
We only had a couple of showers yesterday and another overnight, but that was followed by a lovely sunny day so most of that evaporated.  Tomorrow's rain is desparately needed. 

It seems incredible we have had so little rain when it has been falling by the bucketful in other places not so far away.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 22:21:21 »

It will take quite a bit of rain to sort out about two feet or more of dry ground.

Same here, dry, dry, dry. never known an October like it. Picked the last of the courgettes yesterday  :o

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 22:38:36 »
 We had such heavy rain here in Holland on sea this early evening hailstones you could  play golf with :P ;D, the lawn was white for about 15 mins, then more heavy rain,  most welcome same again tomorrow please. ;D ;D.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:39:43 »
Please send some rain this way. I think I could spit more than appears on the garden path this morning!!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 09:49:39 »
We were forecast heavy rain most of Tuesday (west Essex) but only ended up with one five minute downpour.  We do have rain forecast for this afternoon though. 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 10:38:53 »
I had a lovely evening at the plot yesterday, watching the sun go down as I had a nice hot fire burning all the dry woody prunings I had accumulated over the year....and this morning I wake up and it is p*****g down! Son is disappointed, he was going to go to Alton Towers today for their 'Scare Festival' ....not! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:27:37 »
We had rain the night before last; the stream was running yesterday, and the soil where I was digging was damper. It was coming down again this morning, hard.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 13:01:06 »
A few showers in July and September.  a bit of drizzle here and there but, apart from one decent downpour in August there's been no rain since the snow melted in early March.  The ground is bone dry, even in newly planted beds treated to lashings of compost.  I've had to use the sprinkler, even this late on.

Heaven knows when I'll be able to get ornamentals lifted and divided and replanted.  On the other hand, the late planted fennel is doing very well along with winter lettuce, broccoli and Savoy cabbage but I suspect the fartichokes and celeriac will be poor and shrivelled from thirst.

It's bright and sunny again today with the occasional cloud but no rain due in the next few days.
Obxx - Vendée France

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 16:06:27 »
We had no real rain for months, but it's started the last few weeks. One result is that a lot of the apples still on the tree have split as they started to swell again.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 18:30:35 »
Well the rain carefully tiptoed round us yet again.  The heavy rain all day turned out to be a rather dull dampness in the air.   The met office have been wrong so so often.  I shall have to water my sprouts again.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 08:01:13 »
I'm on my hols in Dorset highcliffe-on-sea its been more rain than dry wether hear but back home its been good :D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 17:39:58 »
We had about half an inch of rain yesterday. The stream's still running - more going in the top of the site than out the bottom - and most of my soil is nicely damp. I was still finding dry patches at a spade's depth.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 18:16:59 »
A few showers yesterday evening followed by a lovely Sunny  8)  day today, with the weekend a few degrees warmer the soil looks like its going to be dry for a while.     ??? :-\ :( :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal