Author Topic: seed potatoes  (Read 4318 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
seed potatoes
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:44:49 »
I received my Kings seed catalogue 2 days ago.  Just been on their web site looking at seed potatoes.  I am shocked to find some are already sold out!!!  eg Picasso.
I think I read somewhere that the dry summer would cause a shortage of seed potatoes.   
Any comments.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:41:02 »
That is a worry.  I wonder if it means they're sold out from last year and this year's crop isn't in yet?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:25 »
No I phoned up to ask that.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:42:46 »
No I phoned up to ask that.
Oh, well that really is a worry.  I wonder if it is an issue for Scottish seen only or whether the Dutch and German seed potatoes are scarce too.  I'll ask.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:51:05 »
I see that Charlton Park get their Picasso from Holland and I understand that they has 200mm of rain in June when they should have had 40mm so it's more a problem of them rotting than drying out, but I'll pop into Newbury tomorrow and ask Richard himself to see if it's a general problem or whether it was particularly unfortunate for Picasso.

Incidentally, I found them to be a tasty potato as chunky chips, but the slugs utterly destroyed them - I'll stick with Kestrel.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 16:11:09 »
The lady on the  phone said some varieties were sold out.  Yucan gold was another.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 16:58:58 »
I spoke to Richard from Charlton Park this aft and he didn't anticipate any problem getting Picasso, though they'll be Scottish, not Dutch.  He said there have been some problems with a few varieties such as Valour, Maris Bard, and King Edwards, with some varieties suffering from splitting and spraing (lost half of my Kestrel with spraing this year), and that'll cause some knock-on shortages as commercial growers use alternatives, and he suggested that might see something of a price escalation as a result, but he didn't see a general problem.

Maybe tattieman will pop along later and give his perspective.

Tattieman

• Half Acre
    • www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 17:22:47 »
And as if by magic I appear ;D

Well the main problem in Scotland is rain. It just won't stop. Harvest is about 3-4 weeks behind at the moment which will have a knock on effect with how soon the potatoes can be graded and sent out.

What has been harvested is looking very good at the moment but there may be a few issues with water logging and as mentioned earlier cracking of the seed potatoes.

At the moment there are a few varieties sold out but the main varieties should be ok this year.

Edzell Blue were the first to sell out this year but we may find that more stock becomes available once it has been graded for size and dressed for quality.

I will try and keep you all in the loop.
(PS unwashed your inbox is full)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 18:26:15 »
What is this rain stuff?    I am hoping to go to a couple of potato days again next year, I rather enjoy trying different varieties.  It will be interesting to see what varieities are available. 

I find it quite interesting that the varieties with the same name but bought from different sources are not the same. 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 18:54:17 »
Got some fantastic sized 'smile' spuds this year, our supplier hasn't got them on his list for next year  ???

Tattieman

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 19:05:30 »
Digeroo it has rained all year with us. We had about 4 days of sun in the summer.

If you have any Smile seed left then you should keep it as there will be no more available now that the variety has stopped in the UK.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 19:16:45 »
(PS unwashed your inbox is full)
Oopsi!  Thanks Tattieman, Sorted.  And thanks for the info.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 20:16:01 »
Thanks for that, Tattieman, I'll have look for a few small ones and try to keep them until next year  :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 21:16:57 »
Why's that Tattieman? I never got round to grow it and was hoping to :(

Tattieman

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 21:28:33 »
Do you mean why Smile has gone pumkinlover? If so it has gone as a result of the variety not being commercially viable in the UK. The breeder who is in control of the variety also had to be paid royalties every year and it could just no longer carry on at the rate it was going.

It happens to alot of varieties every year but many you will not have heard about so you don't miss them.

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 21:38:24 »
Thanks Tattieman, it did look soo preety.
Can I congratulate you on your website by the way :D

Tattieman

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 22:13:14 »
Thats very nice of you to say pumpkinlover. The websites I have seem to take up all my time just now.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 22:28:45 »
Just had a wee look and it's even better than I remember. (the website that is)

It's not been a good growing year for much here in Scotland. Well I can only really speak for Edinburgh. I still have tatties in the ground that in previous years would have been lifted, dried and stored.

I can't make up my mind what to choose for next year. Maybe Charlotte - they're the ones I buy when I run out of salad type potatoes. Kestrel and Lady Christl have always done well for me. This year I grew Fortyfold for the first time but haven't lifted any yet so don't know what they'll be like.

I think I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't like PFA and I never seem to have much success with red potatoes. Don't know why.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 22:59:23 »
Digeroo it has rained all year with us.
  So you have been hogging all the rain too. ;D

Do you have any good recommendation for something with a good flavour which does not get attacked by slugs?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 05:33:45 »
The thing I like about Tatties website is you can look up a spud and it will tell you if its ideal for roasties, mash etc and also tell you the resistances.   :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal