Author Topic: Which pumpkins/squash would you grow again?  (Read 9174 times)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Which pumpkins/squash would you grow again?
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:48:45 »
Here are my thoughts on this years crop grown in my patch.  Plants will produce different results in other patches/conditions so tastes could be different.  My crop was also picked a little sooner as I needed to clear the vines to slow dwn the spread of powdery mildew to my AG plant.

Yes:
Bon Bon - nice sweet orange flesh and not too big - top of my list!
Tuffy Sweet -nice sweet orange flesh but not as sweet as Bon Bon, perfect for individual servings straight from the pumpkin by halving and cooking in the microwave.
Hooligan - perfectly sized for a snack, cooked as per tuffy sweet above.  Nice and sweet
Black Futsu - I have only grown one and I had it before maturity but it tasted perfect.  Not sweet.  Had a creamy and slightly nutty flavour.  Complex flavours.

No:
Thelma Sanders - pale fleshed variety, bigger than tuffy sweet but not very much flavour
Patty Pan Squashes - Quite bland in comparison to the courgette I grew (Black Beauty) which was delicious

Still to be decided are Spaghetti Squash and Uchiki Kuri as I have not cooked them yet

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Which pumpkins/squash would you grow again?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:02 »
I grew Black Futsu (thanks goodlife!) and they were great, very prolific fruiters! But I haven't eaten any yet! Actually they are so hard I am unsure as to how to open them!!!!

I am sure you will like the Uchiki Kuri, they are wonderful pumpkins, I am going to try them next year.

I grew QLD Blue this year, my favourites. Great keepers, and unbeatable flavour.
I tried Hooligans last year and was unimpressed. I would like to do butternuts again, I might try Waltham next year. Harriers are good though, so I am undecided!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:15:29 »
I will grow again
Bon Bon.......good flavour nice size.
Honey Bear
Sweet Dumpling
Hooligan
All of the above are small ones. I used to grow huge squashes but found them impractical for the two of us.
Will not grow....
Golden Hubbard...I love the flavour but only got one on the plant. this is my second year of trying hub bards with the same poor yield.
Dont know yet.......
Pumpkin Windsor...It's a container suitable little pumpkin. Never grown it before so will have to report back.

Duke

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:16 »
"Confection"- a small green fruit a reasonable size for two plus left-overs, deep orange inside and tastes like sweet potatotes- second year growing these.

Can't report on my new trials yet because letting them age a bit ( one is "Pennsylvania Crookneck" which are HUGE which means freezing some after cutting one open (not my favorite thing to do)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 16:27:36 »
I am really pleased with Kamokamo.  Lots of fruits.  Haven't tasted it yet though.  Very attractive fruit.  Seems I should have eaten some small like courgettes, though they are round and ribbed. 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 16:43:28 »
Crown Prince
Marina (?) D' Choggia
Vif Rouge D'Etampes
Muscade

In terms of taste and productivity...  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 17:01:18 »
I've only just cut into my first squash of the season..its 'banana' sort..not the pink banana, the other one..(forgot the name)...and nice one it is indeed.. ;D I've used it as carrot replacement in stir fry...and rest of it I'm going to roast tonight.
I do like Black Futsu..but mine didn't perform this year. Instead I have loads of Thelma Sanders...I do hope they are better than Dandytown rates it... :-\

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 17:40:54 »
Uchiki Kuri is my favourite and it actually has time to ripen in these Northern climes unlike some of its larger siblings where it's touch and go depending on the weather.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 18:39:33 »
These are some of Callum's jack o' lantern this year,seeds courtesy of Jeannine, he wants to grow an atlantic giant next year ;D

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 18:43:06 »
I liked my Uchiki Kuri, just the right size for two of us and good flavour.
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 20:09:01 »
These are some of Callum's jack o' lantern this year,seeds courtesy of Jeannine, he wants to grow an atlantic giant next year ;D
Good job, Callum! And we especially appreciate when the model's shirt is coordinated with his pumpkin :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 20:18:20 »
Good job, Callum! And we especially appreciate when the model's shirt is coordinated with his pumpkin :)
I rather think it's my camera on the blink  ;D
I will be growing more of Jeannine's squash seed next year, I'm making space  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 21:52:35 »
I also love uchiki kuri for flavour, grilled mmmm.  :-*
Marina di chioggia too. Grilled with rosemary and salt sprinkled on (got that idea off someone on here  :) )
Galeux d'eysines is fragrant and light-tasting

My black futsu stayed tiny and I didn't like the flavour grilled. Bit of bitter aftertaste for us.

Although my rugosa friulana courgettes did rubbish this year i'll try them next year as i love the flavour.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 22:25:08 »
Crown Prince
Marina (?) D' Choggia
Vif Rouge D'Etampes
Muscade

In terms of taste and productivity...  :)

Got to go with that list!
I've yet to try any of the new ones this year, like Black Futsu, Kikuza, Anna swartz hubbard, Green Stripped Cushaw or australian Butter (thank you Jeannine for the last one  :) ). So the jury is still out around here.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 09:55:33 »
I have gradually narrowed it down over the years, definite favourites are:

Vif Rouge D'Etampes: 'Cinderalla's coach' shaped pumpkin. Reliable and very pretty. Buy from Franchi, you get a huge packet of seeds that will last for years.

Baby bear: small 1-2 kg sized pumpkin, I get a huge crop and they all seem to be reliably the same size, ideal for 'normal sized' portions of soup rather than having to make gallons at a time!. I tried these from one of Jeanine's seed swaps and now grow them every year. The do like to run a bit though! Good for growing under taller crops like sweetcorn.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 19:02:42 »
GemSquash (rolet) - the absolute best squash there is!! Honest!!  ;D
Courgette - Lebanese - the best tasting courgette there is.
Courgette - round type
Hubbard Squash - going to try here in the UK.. We grew a lot in Zimbabwe..
Honey Bear - a good solid small squash with good taste
Butternut - great taste and versatile 

Cant wait for my new allotment to be up and running - getting there slowly but surely. Hopefully all beds will be dug and  ready by the planting time..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 19:59:03 »
GemSquash (rolet) - the absolute best squash there is!! Honest!!  ;D
Courgette - Lebanese - the best tasting courgette there is.
Courgette - round type
Hubbard Squash - going to try here in the UK.. We grew a lot in Zimbabwe..
Honey Bear - a good solid small squash with good taste
Butternut - great taste and versatile 
What exactly does GemSquash have that puts it above others in your opinion" Is it a winter squash?

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 22:51:30 »
I grew Rolet last year and would not bother again. Yes, I know that it is popular in South Africa but I do not rate it for the following reasons. The fruits have very little usable flesh, poor taste, stringy and low sweetness. I was using it as a Winter squash and it did store well, changes colour from dark green to orange in store. But why bother as there are ones which are so much better in our climate. I suspect that it might be better used as a Summer Squash and stuffed with a savoury filling such as mince or something similar.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 23:59:22 »
Atlantic giant
spaghetti squash
 hubbard
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 00:11:15 by plainleaf »

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 00:07:20 »
GemSquash are a summer squash... at them young to medium age and they are delicious.  When they have gone yellow they are stringy..

Cut in half, biol for 10-15 minutes, mix in butter, salt & pepper.. delicious.. the whole squash can be eaten.. skin, seeds and all - just leave the stem piece... 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal