Author Topic: Olive Tree  (Read 2122 times)

Seabea

• Not So New ...
Olive Tree
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:21:45 »
I brought an Olive whip back from Portugal early this year.  It's still in a pot as I haven't been able to decide where to put it.  Do you think it is safe to leave out all Winter, and should I fleece it?  Standing in it's pot its about 5ft 6ins high.  I haven't got a greenhouse but I could bring it indoors if absolutely necessary.  Any advice?

petengade

• Acre
Re: Olive Tree
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 15:52:02 »
I would be frighened of losing it as its so young, ask a nursery or do a google, found this.
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/frost-prevention

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 16:51:50 »
We've got quite a few olive trees from 3 to 100s of years old and have no problem in the winter. I think the information from the link there is very much erring on the safe side. Temperatures dropped to -12ºC last winter and the trees were fine. If you're worried, I'd just move it to a more sheltered spot but certainly wouldn't take it inside.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 18:15:54 »
It's going to be more vulnerable in a pot as the roots could get frozen solid. If you want it outside, it might be better planted out.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 21:26:30 »
Are you allowed to bring in plants for abroad?

Seabea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 22:13:23 »
Thank you for the advice and website link.  Very useful.  As for bringing plants in I didn't actually think about it.  My friend and I came back from Portugal in her motorhome.  She also brought back an olive and I brought back a small lemon tree which I brought indoors a couple of weeks ago, as I know that is not very hardy.  Nobody queried our plants and we didn't mention anything.  So, if your planning on any smuggling I can recommend a motorhome!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 22:40:04 »
Don't try that going to Oz.  They were very nasty to my friend who tried to take in a box of choccies.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 23:52:44 »
You can bring in small quantities of plants for your own use from EU countries.  Outside of the EU, whether it's legal or not depends on what you're trying to bring in and where from.  There's a DEFRA summary here.

I've had an olive in a pot on my patio for many years.  It gets no special attention, in fact it gets roundly neglected but it seems to survive the winter fine.  I suppose it gets a little shelter from the building but even last winter's deep frosts and snow didn't noticably affect it.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 10:08:16 »
I would be a little concerned about the pot that may break in very cold conditions! Olive trees do ok outside here and it gets pretty cold. I would be inclined to protect it rather than bring it in. I would certainly get some insulation round the pot and yes probably some sheeting around the plant...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Seabea

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 17:45:39 »
Right, sheltered spot, bubble wrap the pot and fleece.  Then fingers crossed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal