Author Topic: Planted Garlic too deep?  (Read 11214 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Planted Garlic too deep?
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:26:42 »
I tarted planting my garlic a couple of weeks ago. Read online to plant 2-3 inches...so planted one batch at 3 inches. Then read plant at 1-2 inches...so planted remainder at 1-2inches.

The shallower ones are up and running. No sign of the deeper ones....will they eventually emerge????
Jackie

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Planted Garlic too deep?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 10:28:12 »
my niece planted ours with a bulb planter one year, they still came up, some were a bit damp but we ate them  ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:28:29 »
I would think so as it is not that deep :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:37:03 »
My worry wouldn't be the depth, but rather the fact that some of them are up already (due to the mini-heatwave?). Wonder if they will get a shock when it turns cold?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 10:41:25 »
I thought Garlic needed the cold to get them growing..........planted mine before that bout of warm weather.......so many books etc give you different times to plant gave up and put them in anyway LOL

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 10:44:24 »
Just planted the last of my garlic and they don't have any trouble growing and they are planted about 10 to 20 mil deep, :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:45:35 »
They need the cold to split the bulb into separate cloves, not to start growing. They will, however, tolerate cold when they are growing.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 17:43:11 »
Thanks folks...my new obsession when drinking my morning cuppa, is to rush out and peer at the soil to see if they have made an appearance!
Jackie

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 17:53:05 »
They need the cold to split the bulb into separate cloves, not to start growing. They will, however, tolerate cold when they are growing.

You beat me to it!  ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 18:28:01 »
Went to the lottie this afternoon,my galic is coming up or it could be grass ;D

Does it look like two little thin blades of grass coming through?

Have not grown any for years.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 18:34:48 »
I've grown garlic on and off for a few years with mixed results.
Then I realised a couple of years ago they like to be planted deeper than onion sets (I can hear you laughing from here)anyway I now plant deep and have had some splendid crops,apart from the ones that rotted last year,I don't think that was planting depth as several folk had the same trouble.
sanity is overated

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 18:41:44 »
Mine looks the same Betula :)

Macmac, you have made my day. :)
Jackie

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 23:35:54 »
I tried a little experiment a few years ago planting at different depths (including as deep as 3"). It didn't seem to make any difference as far as I could see.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 18:14:44 »
I dib a hole and drop it in. Utterly unscientific, but they all seem quite happy.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 22:38:59 »
I dib a hole and drop it in. Utterly unscientific, but they all seem quite happy.

On a full moon of course! 

Some people do I'm told.  Personally I prefer a warm dry day.  ;)

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 09:52:29 »
never grown Autumn planted gartic before always planted spring but since reading up on here i got some to plant now but as the soil ist ready yet needs digging planning to plant in pots do i leave the pots out doors or place them in my greenhouse and where should they go on a 4 bed  rotation scheme in this years onion bed which means the spud bed next year or in this years brassica  the onion bed next year this is what confuses me about winter plantings :-[

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 10:08:51 »
I think you put them into next years allium patch, but then do not re-use that area for alliums. so you do need to have enough area available- can use for some other quick crop like lettuce so all not lost.
I grow overwintering alliums in tubs or pots because of  the white rot on the plot, ( I get loads of spent compost from bulbs and alpines to use)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 17:58:07 »
general advice these days seems to be to plant the seed cloves like a spring bulb, at around twice its own depth. I used to plant deeper than this and they still came up, albeit slowly. Nowadays (when i get to plant them directly in the ground) i put them in roughly twice the depth of the clove, which is about what i would also do when planting in pots or modules.

Hope this helps.

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 13:06:58 »
Oh, I planted mine last week but only put them just below the surface - hmmm is that why I didn't have much success last year?

TEYman

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 14:25:34 »
Well..I've always planted mine just bellow the soil level..barely covering the cloves and never had problems with it.
Suppose it all comes down to quality of your soil..if the soil is able hold on to moisture and nutrients on surface level, it will yield as well as bit deeper down where there is better moisture... ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal