Author Topic: River cottage new series  (Read 7933 times)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
Re: River cottage new series
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 16:43:00 »
I don't know how easy it is to clean wooden platters, but they're entirely traditional. A square meal was originally one which filled a square wooden platter to the corners.

.......A Square MEal was indeed a wooden plate used on board ships - and they had a wooden rim around the edge about 1cm high called a fiddle - if the food touched or was over this - you were said to be "on the fiddle" - ie: taking more than you should and you could be punished!  We have one at work!
Grow yer bugger grow!

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 16:44:30 »
I thought the food looked nice except that watery sauce  the food was swimming in- uugh I thought it would make the food soggy

......That is actually a very tasty soup - very common in Japanese cooking!  You always get a course served like that!  It is lovely!
Grow yer bugger grow!

pumkinlover

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 17:45:58 »
I thought the food looked nice except that watery sauce  the food was swimming in- uugh I thought it would make the food soggy

......That is actually a very tasty soup - very common in Japanese cooking!  You always get a course served like that!  It is lovely!

thanks for that Louise Stella- I can be a bit parochial at times, love me thick gravy! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal