Author Topic: Whitefly - can anyone help, please?  (Read 6594 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Whitefly - can anyone help, please?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 02:45:50 »
So - my shopping list is now:- French marigold, tagetes and basil seed; a few yellow stickies and a hand-held vacuum cleaner!

French marigolds are tagetes.....

davejg

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 21:17:44 »
Saw on Google, grow pots of mint near the plants, they don't like those either,
Thanks again for the sweet pea seed you gave me a few years ago still saving the seed and growing, remember?  ;D

Had a few cuttings of mint growing in the GH this year, thinking about it now never saw whitefly in there this summer. certainly going to try the same next year + a few tagates.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 21:31:07 »
My french marigolds and tagetes have interbred and self sown in the poly and its quite a riot of colour and smells greaT ;). I used african marigolds around the outdoor toms this year for a change and they worked too.
Next year will have them around the sprouts which are covered with the little pests - but I just shake and wash them off. I guess they like the mild weather. Could you plant french marigolds among the pelargoniums? I've put them in hanging baskets before. Every little helps ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 21:32:00 »
This year I have had a problem with White fly and also Rust on my Onions and Leeks, you could have the weed free and pest free allotment of all time, but if your neighbours have a problem with whatever pest or diesease, then I think with allotments being so close together then it is just question before we all get it :),

Tam

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 21:02:42 »
Have had a horrendous year with whitefly on my tomato plants, nearly as bad last year as well.

Once I had run out of proper insecticides, which are now banned they multiplied out of control!
I have a pall who has  a 10 foot and a 20 foot long greenhouses and never has any problem with fly!

Not me, over the years I have tried yellow pads(loads) Pravada (totally useless) soap spray, and nicotine spray, seedweed spray, derris spray  and this year home made garlic spray,all totally useless, (no I did not over use any of them!)

Have grown tagetes,  marigolds,and basil plants again totally useless, the basil plants were covered with them!

All that is left is to stand with one foot in a basin of cold water with one foot and the other with my trouser leg rolled up to my knee!
 >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal