Author Topic: When should I bring my lemon tree indoors?  (Read 3727 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
When should I bring my lemon tree indoors?
« on: October 04, 2011, 14:36:53 »
My potted lemon tree has done very well outdoors this season (I won't say summer, 'cos we didn't really have one  :(). There are 8 fruit swelling and still a lot of flowers and incipient fruit from the second flowering.

Last year I brought the tree indoors on 26 September and a lot of the incipient fruit fell off, but with the warm weather have decided to leave it outside for the time being.

My question is - is it better to bring it indoors now while temperatures are still quite high or wait until the night temperatures fall considerably - when the temperature change would be more of a shock to the tree

Tricia?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: When should I bring my lemon tree indoors?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:30:28 »
I would bring it in now... you will get some drop. Trying to keep it in the same orientation is supposed to help...  :-\

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:46:57 »
Yes..I would bring it in now too..and try to avoid keeping near radiators..its the heated dry air and less light that causes exsessive leaf drop.
Perharps you could leave bowl of water or something next to it to provide more humidity ..if your plant gradually gets used to indoors it may overwinter bit better. :-\
..but it will still drop some leaves...but then again..they do have to shed their leaves sometimes..nothing is forever. ::)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:09:29 »
My Kafir Lime tree has done well over the Summer but I will bring it in this weekend. 
It will end up in the spare room with the rad off and curtains open along with a couple of chili plants to over winter.
I am worried about leaf drop as the leaves are the edible part of the plant!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:34:01 »
My Kafir Lime tree has done well over the Summer but I will bring it in this weekend. 
It will end up in the spare room with the rad off and curtains open along with a couple of chili plants to over winter.
I am worried about leaf drop as the leaves are the edible part of the plant!!

My wife keeps kafir lime leaves and Galangi in a plastic bag in the freezer and use as she wants for Thai dishes, dont throw them away B-Nick

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 17:05:14 »
Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll get help to bring it into the hall tomorrow. East facing window, radiator off. Good advice about the humidity so I'll keep a bowl of water on the window sill.

Tricia

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal