Author Topic: New allotment society  (Read 2524 times)

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
New allotment society
« on: October 01, 2011, 13:44:26 »
Our allotment site has no organisation as such at present and is currently controlled by our Parish Council. They would like us (the plot holders) to form a committee and eventually fully run the site, which includes all the finances collected from plot rents being handed over to the committe so it can be used as the plot holders see fit and decide upon.

We are a small village site with around 50 plots and have a rough track running top to bottom where there is some gravel standing to park, apart from that we have 3 water taps and that's it.

Plot holders are now being asked if we wish to become involved in a "Garden Club" to get things moving along, so something is starting to happen. We would of course become NSALG members too.

Can anyone offer any advice about anything that should be raised with a new committe as soon as its elected/formed so that a few years down the line we are not thinking..."We should have done that at the start".

And does anyone know if we can approach anyone for funding for a communal area on our site, and what if anything that should include?

Any other advice/thoughts/comments appreciated.

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: New allotment society
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 15:14:54 »
We are a small, self managed site. We have a committee, chair, sec, treasurer and 2 others. We have our own bank account and constitution, these are necessary if you're after grants.
Our communal area is a big shed with storage for tools in the back and tea making facilities etc in the front. A table and chairs in front. You need a teapot big enough for everyone and enough cups  ;D
Oh, and lots of enthusiastic people  :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 18:38:44 »
What role / control or responsibility would the local Parish retain?

Being self managed sounds great but check out the small print to make sure the 50 (max) plot holders do not end up with an unexpected financial responsibility that they hadn't bargained for.

Who does the land belong to?
What are the annual costs?
What restrictions?

If all that lot looks good I'd want to talk to a friendly solicitor who just happens to be a plot holder (so doesn't charge) for a little tiny bit of legal advice.

Other than that it sounds wonderful!!!!!!!
Here's wishing you all the very best of luck & success.  :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 07:56:22 »
Agree with manics. The essentials are: committed people; NSALG membership; a constitution; a committee; a bank account; insurance; a watertight lease. And especially lots of committed people!!

We're independent, totally self-managed and self-financing and answerable only to the Trustees who own the land and the FSA who regulate our financial affairs - and to the members, of course. It's a lot of hard work, but a much better solution than waiting for the Council to get things done.

Have a meeting, but first research NSALG and Big Lottery funding.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:38:27 »
Lottery funding is well worth looking into!! It's a community project and you may well be eligible!  :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:16 »
But bear in mind they don't give away public money just because they like you, or think you've got a good idea. They want to know that your organisation is sound and will be able to deliver, so get that bit right first!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 13:20:39 »
Yes agree with Trevor_D, you will have to show a constitution and accounts to any potential funder.

Its's not as bad as it seems, if you join NSALG they have draft copies, as does ARI, I think they can be downloaded for free, or nominal amounts. Someone on here is an ARI mentor, and there will be one fro your area.

Try and make your officials not related- esp. someone like Secretary and treasurer.
My OH is assistant sec and I am sec, but many sites do not have an assistant sec. anyway and I could not function without him ;)

Good luck its a challenge but worth it :D

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 19:45:03 »
Hi Steve
What area are your allotments in, by this I mean North, North east, The Midlands, wales, South East, South West etc. No matter where you are there is always some-one available to assist.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 20:44:37 »
Sounds like a Carlisle-ish  accent to me.  :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 00:54:51 »
Sounds like a Carlisle-ish  accent to me.  :D

Sounds like Taiwanese to me. I must either get the speakers on this crate fixed or get a new set.  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal