Author Topic: Grumpy woman's rant...  (Read 32677 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: Grumpy woman's rant...
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 10:41:04 »
As a cyclist in London who rides every day I can say without a doubt that cycle lanes are a figment of a fevered imagination!  If they do exist they are almost totally useless.
I ride on the road and I prefer it that way -  I am twice as quick on a bike as a car over the few miles I ride to work...
I could rant about the thousands of people a year that motorists kill and injure but it's far more important to worry inconvieniencing a few drivers..

Just for your amusement...

From the beeb

From treehuger

There are some wonderful (joke) cycle lanes obviously planned & designed by non-cyclists. We have one or two down here on the sunny south coast.

I am trying my best not to offend anyone.... I choose to cycle and not to own a car (there are already too many of them plastered across almost every surface IMHO).

Good luck to the motorists... they'll need it in years to come one way or another. Just leave me a bit of space to carry on pedalling (out of your way as much as I can).  ;)

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 11:14:21 »
I am seriously giving up on life. Just saw an elderly gentleman being shouted out by a load of feral youngsters because he dared to try to mount the only flat bit of kerbstone in his electric wheelchair as he was crossing the road and they had to move off the kerb and discontinue their conversation! No consideration for anyone else! Had I been him i would have ran over their feet on purpose! iI am also getting sick and tired of people of all ages so ingrossed on their mobile phones or plugged into their ipods that they just walk infront of your car whilst crossing the road without even looking to see if its clear, then when you give them a huge blast of your horn you get looked at and sworn at!
I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and am always very sore and I get fed up with people always bumping into you in shops. People hitting you with baskets and ramming you with their trolley and bunching up behind you in the queue and knocking into you. I am pretty tall and not too slim so are they really that blind they cant see me?????? And for kids running about in shops etc running into things whilst the parents pay no attention to them........Thats my moan for the day folks... :)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25:13 »
Must .... resist .... posting ....

If I start on my rants on modern times, I'll be here for the day! ;D (although I'm not a driver or a cyclist so can't really comment on that one, phew!)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:44:14 by SamLouise »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 11:36:49 »
I sometimes think that the 'well ill', we look OK so there can't be anything wrong with us should perhaps wear signs ;). Years ago my friend & I used to cycle to Altrincham about 7 miles & of course we could see the pot holes, as drivers couldn't. As mums of young children we didn't risk going over them & the number of drivers who papped & shouted at us was terrible. 

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 18:07:45 »
I choose to ignore a cycle way on a pavement on my way to work every day.  Why, you ask?
1.  I would have to stop and give way at several junctions, whereas on the road I have right of way.
2.  The cycle way stops part way down the road.
3.  The junction leading to this cycleway has a spot for cyclists at the front, but no way of getting onto the cycleway (which is straight ahead).
4.  I am a road user, so I have every right to be on the road.

I also choose to ask cyclists "what's wrong with the road?" when they choose to illegally cycle on the pavement and put pedestrians in danger.  Particularly when there's a cycle way on the road.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 00:24:46 »
Must .... resist .... posting ....

If I start on my rants on modern times, I'll be here for the day! ;D (although I'm not a driver or a cyclist so can't really comment on that one, phew!)

But... just once in a while it does you good to type the whole lot out and get it out of your system.... even if, on second reading, you decide not to post it.  ;)

Go on... have a rant... you know you'd love to.

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 07:34:30 »
This is probably nowt to do with bicycles or the road but here goes anyway.
Old women(thats people of my age) with shopping trolleys are my pet hate. I avoid them whenever possible.
We were stood looking at a card rack when one of them there trolleys was pushed into the back of my legs. Of course I fell back and landed on my wrist which broke. When I managed to get up all we could see was the woman running out of the shop with her trolley. Probably off to find someone else to barge in to.
What hurt the most was that I couldn't garden properly for 6 weeks.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:36:42 by pansy potter »
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

pumkinlover

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 07:37:24 »
Sorry to hear about that PP, hope all sorted now :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:55 »
That is bad..............poor you. >:(

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 10:41:35 »
I don't no if its just local to Swindon, but my pet hate about cyclists is the habit of cycling towards you on my side of the road.  And not having high viz vest or lights at 4.30 am in the morning and then getting stroppy because you've nearly run over them.
Pedestrian's who insist on walking 4 abreast on the cycle track as well as the designated paths.  And then expect you to move over onto the grass to pass them.
Drivers who can't park a car without using 2 spaces, who's cars aren't fitted with indicators.
The inability of all age groups to say 'Please and Thank You' (not all people) or 'Excuse me' when they need to get by.  I'm at the age now that I no I embarrass my family as I now say very clearly when barged pass, that good manners are clearly dead in this area. ;D
Dogs with out collars and leads in public places.
I'll stop now, as I'll only get depressed and then have to eat another piece of chocolate to cheer myself up  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Hope your all keeping well and enjoying this late sunshine, regards, Taurus.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2011, 11:24:03 »
...and what is it with 'modern' cars that their wheels don't turn properly? You see more and more drivers taking over almost two lanes before they are able take turn..just as they approach to the turn off, all of the sudden you find the car front of your going all over the place.... >:(
...and this awful weather.. >:( I'm already acclimatised for cooler temperatures and been wearing fleeces for week now..and now I'm having to start 'stripping' off again.. ::) Well its frost warning for next week... ;D..about time too..
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:33:55 by goodlife »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2011, 11:30:11 »
Just said to OH how glad we haven't had a Summer like the last week. My body cannot cope with it ::) ::) ::). I even got my crocheted blanket out to put on the back of the sofa ;D.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2011, 11:58:14 »
The warmth is lovely..think of all the fuel you're saving to start with.  ;)

Motorists, pedestrians, cyclists......they come in all shapes and sizes with a huge range of attitudes. The ones I dislike are those that behave selfishly and appear to have no regard or thought for others.

It was once a mark of value to give way, show consideration, let others go first (where safe and practicable) but too often these days it's a free for all. An aggressive society.

"Good" seems to be = I got there first, pushed you out of the way and saved three seconds of my time. Wide spread road bullying and impatience.  :(

Pansy - what did the shop have to say about it? Haven't they a duty of care to customers? Anything on the CCTV camera? Hope you're OK now.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:46 »
Just had a serious rant at a "posh" man in town for parking on a yellow line in a narrow street - it is there for a reason!!!! I had difficulty turning out of an even smaller side street, luckily I have a normal sized car, a Yummy-Mummy in her 4x4 wouldn't have been able to get round at all.
His reply was " I know It's on a yellow line" At that point polite words failed me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:04:22 by Poppy Mole »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 12:06:51 »
Aden Roller, I have a faulty thermostat, body not house ;) ;D so struggle with heat but am fine when the weather is cool or cold.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 12:07:52 »
Poppy - every other day I find a car plonked across a dropped kerb at our local shopping parade. This results in people with pushchairs/prams, wheelchair users and people of pavement scooters having to go to the far end away from the main road's pedestrian crossing in order to get back up onto the pavement.

This is the one thing that really makes me mad. Often the perpetrator simply hasn't thought.. or so they say when I challenge them.  ::)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 12:08:49 »
Aden Roller, I have a faulty thermostat, body not house ;) ;D so struggle with heat but am fine when the weather is cool or cold.

Sorry to hear that.  :(

May the cool go with you.  :)

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 15:06:20 »
Pansy - what did the shop have to say about it? Haven't they a duty of care to customers? Anything on the CCTV camera? Hope you're OK now( Quote by Aden Roller)

This happened about 4 years ago but I will never forget it. The shop assistants were great.After all it wasn't their fault.  They had to put it in the accident book. O.H just took me to the hospital to get it sorted. I just steer well clear of anyone with a trolley.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 22:24:18 »
Pansy - what did the shop have to say about it? Haven't they a duty of care to customers? Anything on the CCTV camera? Hope you're OK now( Quote by Aden Roller)

This happened about 4 years ago but I will never forget it. The shop assistants were great.After all it wasn't their fault.  They had to put it in the accident book. O.H just took me to the hospital to get it sorted. I just steer well clear of anyone with a trolley.

Trollyphopbic? Sounds difficult.

As a cyclist I find carrying a small rucksack really useful. To start with I keep a waterproof pair of trousers and a coat in there as well as my baccy (disgusting habit).
The rucksack has the unintended advantage of making sure there's just a bit of extra space between me and the person behind in queues and busy shops. One quick turn and I've cleared a space!!  ;D

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 23:55:49 »
The carrier bag thread made me realise that I'm a grumpy old woman when it comes to supermarket checkouts these days.  Not because of the queues, but because of this ....

'Hello, how are you today? Sorry to keep you waiting, would you like some help with your packing? Would you like stamps, phone top ups, gift cards? Did you find everything you wanted in store today?  Anything else I can help you with? Shall I come to your home, unpack it, put it all away cook and eat it for you?' I just want to say hello, be served and get out!

And people who can't use the self service tills. Honestly, it's not a chemistry exam ... they're really not hard to use, LOL

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal