Author Topic: severe winter  (Read 7921 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: severe winter
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 17:10:57 »
Code: [Select]
I don't save mine but I use it as and when the supply arrives..well diluted first though.. [/quote]

What do you do with it in winter? I'd have thought you were wasting half the supply.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 20:42:30 »
The problem is that water freezes from the top (ice being less dense than water) and can effectively make it's own seal - so that when the rest of it freezes it expands outward instead of upward.

If you pop an old ball into the top of the barrel (if no lid) that should stop it forming a seal and causing the liquid to expand out?

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 22:14:37 »
Is it going to be a severe winter? All reports ive heard are that the weather people still dont know for sure?! (wouldn't surprise me tho if it is - got to minus 20 where i live last December - not normal)!

The ball idea sounds interesting, but surely the ice would just seal around it and force it a) downwards (unlikely) or b) upwards and out of the container thus forming the seal anyway??
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 10:33:40 »
Code: [Select]
Errrrm....... Your what?
Piss barrel.. ;D..straight talk..nothing like it.. ;D I don't save mine but I use it as and when the supply arrives..well diluted first though.. ;) ;D
Uh..it could be quite a mess if the barrel like that should split.. :-X

Never eat the yellow ice ;) ;) ;) :o

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 19:35:27 »
We don't know. They've been promising us one for ages, but that only means that the chance of a cold winter is more than evens. I don't know what it actually is. Cold weather was supposed to arrive at the beginning of last month, and as we all know, there's no sign of it yet!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 09:27:35 »
The problem with mine which are old orange juice barrels is that the ice pushes the bottoms into round shapes then the butt falls over and is to heavy to lift back into place.
They are now wedged against the wall. Keep them with water in becuase the greeehouse needs watering though the winter as do the winter bulbs that come into the house.

Been a lovely mild november here bonus and lovely gardening weather yesterday.

xSunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal