Author Topic: Stored Potatoes  (Read 1259 times)

pansy potter

• Half Acre
Stored Potatoes
« on: October 10, 2011, 07:44:07 »
I dug my potatoes up 2 weeks ago and because it was too hot in the shed I put them in the spare room because its cooler.They were treated as  they are normally.Dried and what not.
Have been checking them regulary. Yesterday when I looked the majority of them had sprouted. Bloomin hot weather
To add to it one of the spuds had gone rotten PHEW!!!!!!
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Stored Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:51:08 »
So far so good... none rotting. The 2nd Early Edgecote Purple was sprouting before I dug them out!  :-X

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:04:02 »
Yes - mine are all sprouting in the place that I normally keep them cool. It'll be a particular shame if I cant keep them as I overdid it this year with potatoes - have way too many. Am now giving them away to lots of people!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:17:00 »
One of ours had rotted, right at the bottom of the sack, terrible smell, the rest seem ok, just a few of the earlier ones shooting, were eating them first :)

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:16:48 »
Maybe if I had a little bit of room in the freezer then I could have processed them but I haven't.They have just gone to the tip now.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 11:44:11 »
My Kestrel are still happy in the ground.  I've only got one row left so I don't thin I'll bother to left them, just use them as I need.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 11:57:50 »
Yes - mine are all sprouting in the place that I normally keep them cool. It'll be a particular shame if I cant keep them as I overdid it this year with potatoes - have way too many. Am now giving them away to lots of people!

You can empty them out.. knock the sprouts off and re bag... if it's cooler now that might stop them...  :-\

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 18:51:37 »
I've just found a rotten one, luckily just in time, thats why we need regular checks folks.  ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 22:15:20 »
Thanks Saddad, knocking the growth off hadnt occured to me - I shall have to reclaim all the tatties I gave away!

Monkey Brains

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 22:32:53 »
I stored some of my second earlies from last year in a brown paper potato sack in our relatively warmish kitchen from july through to xmas - by then they were just starting to sprout, but ok to use in stews. I'm in trouble if this years crop starts sprouting, as I've got several sacks this year...

It's been an odd growing year - wonder if that's why people potatoes are sprouting again when they haven't done so in past years?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal