Author Topic: Making a Garden Easier to Look After  (Read 5273 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Making a Garden Easier to Look After
« on: September 20, 2011, 17:41:06 »
I was wondering if any of you had any tips for making an average suburban garden that is currently quite hight maintainance, easier to manage and keep looking nice without loosing its character or spending much money (or even any at all perhaps).

I help out a retired lady and gentleman in their garden a couple of mornings a week but whilst i am happy to continue doing this (not just for the money either  ;D) there is only so much i can do in the time i am there and certain aspects of the garden are becoming harder to manage. measures have been taken earlier this year to reduce some of the work needed, for instance planting a large flower bed with perennials rather than seasonal bedding, but more is needed.

The garden is quite large for a suburban plot, south facing and sloping, divided roughly equally between a fruit/veg plot (large beds divided by rough grass paths) and ornamentals. The ornamental area contains a large grassed/lawned area, bisected by a ramped concrete pathway which in itself helps with the slope of the site but does create hard raised edges to the lawn which needs strimming regularly. part of the garden near the house has been terraced to create a patio outside the conservatory but between this and the lawn is a large 'rockery' bed, which is steeply sloping and difficult to weed. Further terracing here would be too expensive to put in. there is also a side patio, surrounded by beds (roses and shrubs), and a raised pond and stream feature which is surrounded by small or narrow beds where nothing much seems to grow and needs regular weeding.  to the front of the house is a small north facing garden, containing a small lawn and a couple of flowerbeds. I think that about covers it!

Any suggestions as to what could be done in a small way to make this garden easier to maintain would be appreciated. Nothing drastic or large scale ideally, as the owners like the garden essentialy as it is, on the other hand they would not want to see it go downhill or feel they have to move away from it before they have to.

Thanks.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Making a Garden Easier to Look After
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 21:25:14 »
This is tricky as it sounds like there are a lot of different areas which might need different solutions, and it's hard for me to think without seeing it. But I suppose I would just keep going with more perennials, or self-seeding annuals. Plants which are very vigorous and don't let weeds through are good.

I hardly ever weed my garden, and the bits which still look neat have a lot of these kinds of plants. In my case that's lady's mantel, lavender, geraniums, thyme, pot marigolds, elephants ears (bergenia), fennel and penstemon.

They're all either bought in sales, or seeds or cuttings were originally given to me. They're the sort of robust and spreading plants which people don't mind sharing.

I find if I don't weed, I get a bad slug and snail problem, and this is something to consider. For me, all of these are snail tolerant. Other lovely perennials like shasta daisies just get eaten to stumps and die.  :(

See if you can cadge some of these tough cottage garden troopers from neighbours?

I don't know if that helps you.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 21:33:42 »
I find that Fuschias are pretty bombproof once established and are easy to grow from cuttings.  How about some weed suppressing fabric and some slate or gravel of some sort for the small narrow beds?  that way they would look smart and be weed free!
Grow yer bugger grow!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 21:44:25 »
It is hard work... my OH looks after an elderly neighbours garden as they are friends. She has used bark mulch to help suppress weeds and give borders a clean/clear look.

A few specimen plants (bought small and allowed to grow on) can make weeding with a swoe/hoe easier and quicker than fiddling among lots of smaller ones.

Some of the suggestions given are good ones... slate or pebbles (if you are allowed a few from a nearby beach) over builders plastic (cheaper) can add texture but reduce work.

In the veg plot plonk in lots of potatoes that more or less take care of themselves, some beans and the usual salad veg using old floorboards (if you can get them for free) in between rows.

If that doesn't work try a few posters in shop windows:
"Free introductory gardening course for beginners - bring your own tools and picnic - make a day of it" ;D

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 21:48:07 »
Lots of plants and lots of mulch = few weeds.

Definately use tough perennials its almost a rule that if you can't get it free or cheap it won't be tough enough! Be careful of really invasive plants though, its just as difficult to weed so called garden plants.

Try ferns, once a year prune and mulch, ah happiness   :)

Woodchip can be got free from local tree surgeons. Leave in a pile or builders bag for 6-12 months as its very harsh when raw.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 00:16:37 »
I also find that perennials are a good way to reduce garden maintenance. I'd cover the ground with as many low growing plants as possible and then you can have time to see to the the taller plants and shrubs.
Some I would not be without. Examples are:
Sedums,  the low growing types as they seem to help suppress the weeds - I'm not too good on the variety names, but the ones with evergreen green glossy slightly serrated edged leaves and pink flowers late summer do very well here, I also have one that has a reddish tinge to the leaf.
Hardy geraniums fill a lot of space, and I cut them back when they get tatty to get another flush of flowers at the end of summer - but I don't cut them all at once, just about a square foot at a time and so avoid that bare chopped look on the height of summer.
Euonymus is useful too, there are a fair few types and colours, evergreen. Slow growers like Box and yew can be used to cover space, and the hardier ivies can be a brilliant way to cover bare ground and suppress weeds. There are some decent mahonia varieties available now (not the low ones)
Others I find usefull to cover bare ground are: Epimedium, Alchimella mollis, variegated Vinca (but not major), Ceanothus repens, various thymes, alpine strawberries, ginger mint, aubretia, penstemons, and then there are the type of plant that you can leave in for a good part of the winter for decorative seed heads, stems and so on like Perovskia, Sedum spectabile, verbena bonariensis and grasses. Good luck it sounds like you've got your work cut out there.

Reg

• Not So New ...
    • Reg's Garden
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 00:24:40 »
I fully agree, if possible cover the ground with plants as I have done so in my garden.

http://www.reg-garden.com/garden_pictures.htm

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 01:04:53 »
Love the pond Reg! That takes me back to my childhood when I used to spend hours dangling from the bridge over our garden pond.

There we go... cover the garden with butyl liner and put the hose on. After that its a twice yearly spruce to keep the garden looking good.  ;D Maybe not.  ::)  :D

Reg

• Not So New ...
    • Reg's Garden
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 01:36:44 »
I started on the garden 17 years ago with ideas of what I wanted for the garden and in a short time it was planted out... I was lucky to have a nursery nearby who at the time I started had loads of plants to get rid of and I were able to take a lot off their hands at a price that was unbelievably low.

Talking about childhood....children will not forget my Fairy Garden in a hurry.

http://www.reg-fairygarden.co.uk/

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 01:51:56 »
How lovely Reg............ :)

Reg

• Not So New ...
    • Reg's Garden
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 02:08:30 »
Thank you Betula.. it's been a joy creating it.  ... I like sharing it with others.. this will be a record year for visitors to the garden. I think that I will have had over 15,000 folk seeing it.   Entrance is totally FREE I am pleased to say "and if he has the time, is at the bottom of the garden and in a good mood" is what our BBC Radio Jersey often says in the morning. He might make you a cuppa on the house. I know that I have made over 6,500 cuppas this year.

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 09:20:11 »

Hello Reg, I have had a lot of health problems this year, and I was feeling very down, until I clicked on your fairy garden. its lovely, and it takes you back to the innocence of childhood. thank you so much.
   June

Reg

• Not So New ...
    • Reg's Garden
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 13:03:45 »
 So sorry to hear that you have health problems, if it takes a little to make you a bit better looking at the fairy garden, it must be good then. You should hear the Ooos and Aaars when families are going through the fairy garden.   Makes it all worth while.  Keep in touch.... Reg

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 14:06:40 »
A wonderful idea and sweet garden. Especially (the last picture) like your pointy elf ears, Reggie!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 14:11:33 »
Garden Manager, I'd especially get rid of the "and a raised pond and stream feature which is surrounded by small or narrow beds where nothing much seems to grow and needs regular weeding."  If nothing grows well there that seems to be a waste of work and if all could be mulched or grassed over it would give the eye a place to rest, maybe cut down on the busy look which might detract from the pond?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal