Author Topic: Prince Charles becomes Patron of nsalg  (Read 2707 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Prince Charles becomes Patron of nsalg
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:41:27 »
just had this on an email.

Prince of Wales becomes Patron of the National Society of Allotment & Leisure Gardeners
21st July 2011
His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales has kindly agreed to assume the Patronage of the National Society of Allotment & Leisure Gardeners, which is based in Corby, Northamptonshire. The Prince of Wales has a long standing interest in horticulture and sustainable growing and has always championed the benefits of partaking in such activities.
The National Society of Allotment & Leisure Gardeners was launched as a members’ co-operative in 1901 and even today the Society is owned, managed and funded by its members in order to protect, promote and preserve allotments for future generations to enjoy. Additionally, the Society aim to provide advice and information to both allotment holders and home gardeners.
The NSALG is part of the official consultation process relating to the disposal of Statutory Allotment land resulting in several saved sites. The Society is proactive in providing the media with considerable information on the allotment movement past; present and future. The focus for its work is liaising with government to ensure that the voice of allotment holders is heard and to express that allotments remain an important part of today’s society.

The Society is a founder member of the International Office which represents over 3.5 million allotment gardeners in Northern Europe and Scandinavia.
Today, the Chairman of the NSALG Mr Allan Rees MBE and Mrs Donna McDaid, National Secretary of the NSALG warmly welcomed the Prince’s decision. They expressed the hope that the Patronage of His Royal Highness will help to create greater awareness of the allotment movement and attract more support for its valuable work.
Note to Editors: Further information about the National Society of Allotment & Leisure Gardeners can be obtained from:
Mrs Donna McDaid, National Secretary, O’Dell House, 8 Hunters Road, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN17 5JE. Telephone: 01536 266576; fax: 01536 264509; e-mail: donna@nsalg.org.uk
You couldn't make it up!

betula

• Hectare
Re: Prince Charles becomes Patron of nsalg
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 13:09:08 »
Has to be good news :)

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:58:11 »
Excellent news and I'm confident that he will be a pro-active and vocal champion of the cause, rather than a token head.

My feelings about him have changed drastically since I became aware of just how much he champions all things British and is prepared to put his money where his mouth is - unlike his Dear Mama >:(

In the summer I was seeking a silversmiths to do some tricky renovation work on an old piece and finally found a company in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter who were able and had the old-fashioned skills enough to undertake the job. When I visited them our talk somehow widened to include the work they and others in the J.Q. undertake for Charles on a pretty regular basis. He only buys his silverware/flatware/has gifts commissioned by them, etc. there.

Unlike H.M. the Queen. A request from the Palace had arrived asking for a quotation to provide custom-made engraved silver table salt shakers and pepper grinders as gifts for the higher echelons on her Christmas list. Any quotation had to undercut the quotation for same they had - from China. £20 for the pair?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:53:00 »
I think this is great news with Prince Charles on board, they could not have a better bloke even if it was a paid position, :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 12:03:55 »
I think this is great news with Prince Charles on board, they could not have a better bloke even if it was a paid position, :)
Glad we can agree on something, Mr Smith! lol
You couldn't make it up!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 19:52:37 »
                 Tonybloke,
                                    And Ditto from me, I think Prince Charles does a brilliant job along and the charities he supports, I hope he actually gets stuck in with his new role because he actually knows what he is on about when it comes to having green fingers, :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 09:38:25 »
                 Tonybloke,
                                    And Ditto from me, I think Prince Charles does a brilliant job along and the charities he supports, I hope he actually gets stuck in with his new role because he actually knows what he is on about when it comes to having green fingers, :)

yep, he's been an environmental campaigner for yrs, and should be a huge asset to the movement.
You couldn't make it up!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 10:23:15 »
This is good news - I missed it at the time.

For some strange reason I keep thinking of scarecrows with HRH's face popping up all over the country to keep an eye on us all.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal