Author Topic: Why has my butternut sqaushes have no seeds?  (Read 7863 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Why has my butternut sqaushes have no seeds?
« on: September 15, 2011, 16:46:12 »
Just cooking one of our butternuts today:), but no seeds inside?, any reason why not?, could it be i used pumpkins or courgettes to fertilise them as the was no male flowers on the butternuts around at the time.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: Why has my butternut sqaushes have no seeds?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 18:22:18 »
Never seen that before... You may have answered you own question with the polination...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 22:26:44 »
I get this frequently.  Butternuts are of the 'cucurbita moschata' species of squash, and they are the most warmth loving of the squashes.  Quite often it is too cool here for proper pollination.  But the plants have a tendency to 'think' they have been pollinated, when they haven't and as a result they will still grow fruit.

Aunty Mavis

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 23:03:13 »
It is too soon. I have several  which have grown well and I have harvested those which are at the right size will keep for a bit (no seeds) but as yet the rest of the crop are still developing

They are not a natural crop for the UK which may be the reason why they are not acting as we expect.

The fruit should ripen at the end of this month so small squash will produce seeds for next year.

Just harvest what you get and eat them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal