Author Topic: Tripped up by nature!  (Read 3250 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Tripped up by nature!
« on: September 14, 2011, 23:54:44 »
What's the strangest thing you nearly tripped over?

Last night I was making my way home from my elderly parents place and waving through their front window, as is the custom, when I nearly disappeared from sight.

I nearly tripped over a large, unconcerned, hedgehog making its way along the path under their front-room window.

The hedgehog wasn't bothered by the experience and the prickles didn't hurt that much… even so an unexpected experience.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Tripped up by nature!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:01:34 »
The hedgies do seem to be quite active at the moment.  So good to see them too.

Some years ago I was walking in some woods and was taking a waz behind a tree when I realised the place was buzzing with the biggest hornets I've ever seen - I swear they were all of 2" long.  That was not a pleasant discovery.

And a few weeks ago I was jogging through a field of bullocks hoping they wouldn't notice me, but the buggers did and they all came running over - good to know I've still got a turn of speed, but I'd sooner have escaped their attention.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 14:08:53 »
Bullocks can be a big problem. Long ago I had the rear mudguard on a decent bike flattened by one as I followed a public footpath through a field of them.

We've also had one escape half a mile downhill on a tiny country lane - fortunately nothing coming the other way. It was called a very large number of very rude words but eventually went back in its field.  >:(

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 14:24:02 »
Similar to Aden,  on my way back from the 'Farmer's Man' in Ewelme village cycling back to R.A.F. Benson village circa 1968,  I ran into a pig ! over the handlebars and into a ditch.   Damned thing.    it was late at night and sans lighting on an old R.A.F. treader.   I think the pig survived.     Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 14:38:37 »
Similar to Aden,  on my way back from the 'Farmer's Man' in Ewelme village cycling back to R.A.F. Benson village circa 1968,  I ran into a pig ! over the handlebars and into a ditch.   Damned thing.    it was late at night and sans lighting on an old R.A.F. treader.   I think the pig survived.     Cheers,    Tony.
It wasn't a case of it'd had its bacon then.   ;D

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 15:16:48 »
Tony they still keep pigs all around that area benson ewelme and by the raf camp its only 2 or 3 miles from me, but the farmers man was in benson which has  long gone it is the shepperds hut at ewelme how many beers did you had ;D

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 18:46:33 »
So it was, thanks for the clarification. 

The landlady, I think her name was Miki, used to 'do' a cracking curry on a Friday night.  I've known the whole Squadron night shift desert to get their curry and the aircrew rolling up in the squadron landrover with the aircraft's 700 to be filled out on the bar counter so they could go fly !   Ten minutes later we would hear the aircraft droning overhead.

The Shepherd's Hut used to be reffered to as "Pan22".   There were 21 pans (aircraft dispersals) and finished just this side of the cress beds.  It was easier to go to Pan 22 for your liquid lunch, rather than go the the mess and be told to
"Get yer 'air cut" by the SWO. 

The pub futher up the hill from "Pan 22" was the "Skinny Dog"  (The Greyhound)

If I remember correctly.    A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.  As the young lady sang,  "You never know what you've got 'till it's gone".    Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 19:09:41 »
I was on the way to an important meeting at work, so wore a dress and posh shoes. Had to drive past a field in an area with deep ditches because of the waterlogging  (funnily enough near an old RAF/WW2 Plane building site...must be something about them). I saw a sheep in a depression upside down. I remembered my Father had told me they could die if upended too long. So pulled over, took off shoes..stripped of tights and gingerly went through muddy ditch...really slowly as didn't want to get muddy.
Made it into field itself with no mishap. Grabbed d**n sheep and manhandled it up. Suddenly I was knocked hard several feet...flat on my face..and was then kiched/trampled by a donkey.

Made it out field covered in bruises and mud and had to go to meeting looking like a clampit. Found out later that sheep was there to keep Donkey company and he was very protective/territorial of it. Every time I see a Christmas nativity picture with a blasted donkey I shudder.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 19:43:10 by Hector »
Jackie

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 20:01:09 »
I was on the way to an important meeting at work, so wore a dress and posh shoes. Had to drive past a field in an area with deep ditches because of the waterlogging  (funnily enough near an old RAF/WW2 Plane building site...must be something about them). I saw a sheep in a depression upside down. I remembered my Father had told me they could die if upended too long. So pulled over, took off shoes..stripped of tights and gingerly went through muddy ditch...really slowly as didn't want to get muddy.
Made it into field itself with no mishap. Grabbed d**n sheep and manhandled it up. Suddenly I was knocked hard several feet...flat on my face..and was then kiched/trampled by a donkey.

Made it out field covered in bruises and mud and had to go to meeting looking like a clampit. Found out later that sheep was there to keep Donkey company and he was very protective/territorial of it. Every time I see a Christmas nativity picture with a blasted donkey I shudder.

To be honnest I laughed when I read this  :-[ but not at the thought of you bruised and battered just the thought of the donkey belting over to look after its mate and... you arriving at the work's meeting later.

I bet it was a talking point  ;)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 20:18:34 »
Don't worry about laughing...it must have looked hilarious :) Iwalked in room and there was a silence and my boss looked horrified. Lol

Incidentally, my hubby hums "Little Donkey" when we drive by there.
Jackie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 20:51:53 »
When I was a kid we used to spend our holidays on a smallholding in Shropshire. One year, they had a couple of bottle-reared sheep, which were extremely friendly. One day I was crossing their field, when something bashed into me from brhind, and I found myself riding the sheep.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 16:14:07 »
Years ago camping at Llantrisant with 50 children a mate told a bedtime story of “the white lady” who haunted the old mill. Good start to bed time!  ::)

In the middle of a cold night in my tent I decided I just had to go visit the loo. Off I set taking a short cut through the hedge to be met by the sound of rattling chains and a misty white something or other moving in the bushes!  :o

Next morning, after moving quickly to the loo and back, I discovered that the camp-site mascot was a large white goat tethered by a chain that rattled against its metal water bowl!  :-[

B***er bedtime stories!!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 22:50:44 »
I like this thread :P ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal