Author Topic: Fixed term for committee officers?  (Read 2557 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Fixed term for committee officers?
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:38:39 »
Do you think it would be a good idea if the Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary had to stand down after a certain period of time, say 3 years?

I would be interested to hear people's views on this.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Fixed term for committee officers?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:46:57 »
Ours are appointed for two years, with half of the commitee up for re election (if they want to carry on!) every other year at the AGM. This means you don't potentially lose your whole committee in one go, but still have the opportunity to get rid of them ! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:22:26 »
When you say "stand down", do you mean that they can't be re-elected, a bit like the American President, who can only have two terms of office and is then debarred? Or do you mean they are elected for a 3-year term and then have to stand again if they want to continue?

In our case, the entire Committee - including all the officers - resign at the AGM and have to be re-elected. In practice, of course, it's very difficult to get enough idiot volunteers to want to do the job! I send out a list of proposed (and seconded) officers & committee, together with the agenda, so the whole thing normally goes fairly smoothly.

But yes, we always need new blood, and we manage to have a reasonable - but not alarming - turn-over.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:36:50 »
Trevor, I meant they are appointed for a fixed term then someone else has a go. They could then re-stand after the three years is up.

We currently do the same as you, with the whole committee standing down and being re-elected at the AGM.

I wonder if it would work if the Secretary had to stand down one year, the Chairman the next and the Treasurer the next?

Since May, we have had five new people join the committee with hardly any persuasion needed!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:41:17 »
I would say it is a risky strategy as you may not fill the space. we re-elect each year at the AGM. That way, if the group are not happy they can get the person out, but you are not stopping someone who is doing a good job willingly continuing!

jules2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:19:45 »
In theory a good idea but in practice I can't see it working

I've never thought of it before but at least with allotments all committee members have an allotment.

I've been on a fishing club committee where the chairman never fished and a cycling club where the chairman rarely cycled

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:59:43 »
There are so many groups closing because they cannot get officers surely you should hold on to what you have . I expect I am prejudice as I was Sec of our local gardeners for 16 years and have been chairman for almost 25.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 16:09:35 »
If the committee are good at what they do then I would leave it until another plotholder wants to stand for the position and vote on it.  Why try to fix what isn't broken ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 20:14:04 »
We have to offer ouselves for re-election every three years. On one occasion, the rule allowed us to get rid of a troublemaker, but normally people just get re-elected unopposed if they're willing to continue.

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:25:42 »
There are arguments for and against, as with most things. I personally believe that an elected committee should run for 12 months, at that time if they have proved worthy their fellow plot holders will just reelect, if they stand. If they have proved ineffectual over their term, the membership will not reselect. That is provided someone else is prepared to stand for election.

There are always the detractors, whose who mouth off and can do better, but when asked to stand find some excuse to duck the responsibility.

In any group, you get a selection of talent. Planners, do ers and administrators etc these people tend to end up where they are best suited, let them get on with it.

Digmore

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal