Author Topic: Rotovators  (Read 2697 times)

faerie9

• Not So New ...
Rotovators
« on: February 06, 2005, 09:39:15 »
I've read a couple of posts on here that refer to rotovators as a bad idea.

I happen to agree, but mostly because the first year i rented one, and it was a lot of money and hard work for not a lot of result!
Now, I enjoy digging things over the old fashioned way :D

I was wondering - why do some of you not like them?

john_miller

• Hectare
Re: Rotovators
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 10:09:57 »
I love 'em but:
1) they will spread diseases and weeds around
2) they destroy the soil structure
3) they introduce so much air into the soil that organic material can break down too quickly
4) they can create a pan at the bottom of the tilling depth due to smearing by the blades when they are horizontal, especially true on clay.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 10:20:20 »
Nail on the head!  :-)

Neighbour's rotovated plot is now a beautiful carpet of fresh new couch - beautiful spring green in colour!  Lovely to look at ------- but ;D ;D ;D

Mine was dug - and has a few strands of couch only; looks like "drowning" the stuff might have worked?  Fingers crossed.

All best - Gavin

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 10:35:14 »
I agree with Gavin,I had a few square yards of mine rotovated for quickness last year so I could get some spring cabbage planted and have never seen so much weeds growing.  Do not think you can beat the good old spade, but at the end of the day it is everyone to is own.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 10:42:44 »
Is this why we are in 'Pests, Diseases & Disorders'??

All true but, on the other hand, I could not have survived 45 years here without one. And we grow some quite nice stuff. = Tim

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 15:18:19 »
For me the ideal way is dig in the Autumn.

Manure in Autumn/winter.

Rotivate in Spring or early as soil allows areas that do not have anything growing in them. By this stage I would have broadbeans, shallots, garlic and spring greens in and possibly still some leeks.
Between putting manure on and rotivating I might just rake or hoe any areas that started to show any weeds. The aim to prevent multiplication of any weeds. However I might add that between digging and rotivating we do not seem to have any growth of those weeds that grow from just a small piece of stem ie bindweed.

faerie9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 18:10:00 »
Ahha I see... thanks peeps :)
My neighbour rotovates his and the amount of weeds he gets all over by late summer is incredible. Whereas mine isn't too bad.
The chap who used my lottie before I moved in also rotovated: I moved in in September and by the time spring came the grass was terrible.
I can see why they could be ok though - I suppose depending on how much you control the weeds will make a big difference, rotovation or not!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 18:33:11 »
I manage 3 lotties using a rotovator....
The secret is dont rotovate Perennials like couch grass ,bind weed etc in .Kill em first..I use Roundup a glyphosphate based weed killer....
It is ok to turn annual weedsi  in..
If soil is real hard take some tines of rotavator ..
Dont use rotovator on full throttle letting it drag you all over lottie and making soil like flour.
A rotovator is like a lot more things the more you use one the easier it becomes
A reverse gear makes it a lot easier too...cheers ,Jim..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 18:35:12 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal